Stocking list for 75 gallon 4’ tank

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently beginning work on a 75 gallon build, 48”x18”x20”. This is my current dream stocking list, which may include too many fish, but I’ll see what your comments are.

Future:
Barnacle blennie x1

Royal gramma x1

Yellow head goby x1
Yellow watchman goby x1
Ruby red dragonet x1

Copper band butterfly x1

melanarus wrasse x1
Pink streak wrasse x1

Pistol shrimp x2
peppermint shrimp x1

Currently have:
2 clownfish
1 coral beauty
Small cuc including a brittle star

Notes:
Dragonet will not be added for months, if not longer

Questions:
-I love the sand sifting fish, will two goby’s fight over territory in a 48”x18” footprint?
-Should I get a pistol shrimp for each goby or just one?
-I would love to get a tang, but I understand they need lots of swimming space, are there smaller/less active species?
-I would like a flame angel, what are y’all’s thoughts on 4’ long tank with two small angelfish?
-Will these wrasses get along okay in a 4’ 75g tank? (Will also ask in wrasse lovers thread)
-what order should I purchase and introduce the rest of the fish?
-THE most important question: is this too many fish for a 75g? I am planning on adding a lot of rockwork with plenty of caves and hiding places. I will have a 20g sump as well

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add the barnacle blenny later on (once there's more algae established on the rocks). As for your Q's:

* You may be fine with two gobies (try to ensure you build two separate lairs on opposite sides of the tank); don't know about the pair of pistol shrimp.
* Stick with the dwarf angelfish (less annoying than tangs and you won't have to re-home it).
* Two small dwarf angels may (emphasis on "may") be dine in a 4-foot tank. I have 3 in a 6-foot tank, but it really comes down to personality (coin toss).
* Yes, all those wrasses will get along - but you may want to find an alternate for the green wrasse (as they can get quite big). A yellow coris wrasse is a better option.
* 2nd angel, gobies, shrimp, gramma and then wrasses. Finally blenny and dragonet.
* Fish count is fine. You can go higher - it just depends on filtration, rock work and feeding.

OP
OP
C

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add the barnacle blenny later on (once there's more algae established on the rocks). As for your Q's:

* You may be fine with two gobies (try to ensure you build two separate lairs on opposite sides of the tank); don't know about the pair of pistol shrimp.
* Stick with the dwarf angelfish (less annoying than tangs and you won't have to re-home it).
* Two small dwarf angels may (emphasis on "may") be dine in a 4-foot tank. I have 3 in a 6-foot tank, but it really comes down to personality (coin toss).
* Yes, all those wrasses will get along - but you may want to find an alternate for the green wrasse (as they can get quite big). A yellow coris wrasse is a better option.
* 2nd angel, gobies, shrimp, gramma and then wrasses. Finally blenny and dragonet.
* Fish count is fine. You can go higher - it just depends on filtration, rock work and feeding.
Thanks!

I do know my coral beauty is very active in the 20g quarantine tank he’s currently in, so hopefully he isn’t too aggressive. Flame angels are gorgeous and I would like to get one so I may try it

Also going to edit the post, wrasse experts said green is too big for tank and get a pink streak or pink line wrasse in stead of the sixline

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the yellow head, i assume you’re talking about the sand sifter similar to a diamond. I could see him causing problems for the watchman and the dragonet. Those sand sifters will deplete a sand bed of food for the dragonet pretty fast, and I could see some territorial issues as well. My biggest beef with the sand sifters though is the absolute mess they make.

make sure your copper and is taking food in the store before you buy him. The store I work at has been lucky, the ones we’ve gotten recently all seem to be pigs, but between him, the dragonet and the wrasses, you will probably need to supplement live food.

OP
OP
C

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the yellow head, i assume you’re talking about the sand sifter similar to a diamond. I could see him causing problems for the watchman and the dragonet. Those sand sifters will deplete a sand bed of food for the dragonet pretty fast, and I could see some territorial issues as well. My biggest beef with the sand sifters though is the absolute mess they make.

make sure your copper and is taking food in the store before you buy him. The store I work at has been lucky, the ones we’ve gotten recently all seem to be pigs, but between him, the dragonet and the wrasses, you will probably need to supplement live food.
Planning to do a copepod culture for live food, so that should be okay hopefully.

NY Aquatics claims all their CBBs eat mysis before they will ship them so I was planning to source from there. Also feed clam to them

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%

Back