Stocking List for Cade 1800

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank got wet today. 171 g display, 32 g sump. Going to have macroalgae in the refugium and will also have some rock down there for pods. Running Matrix in 3 media baskets, Chemipure blue in 3 and have some of the ceramic tiles in the other three. Will be dosing fusion 1 and 2 and Reef Plus 3 times a day 30 ml total to start.

Starting my cycle and am trying to figure out what to stock. What I would like is a generally busy tank with interesting fish. Mixed reef so I will have lots of corals, mostly softies and LPS. Here is a general idea of what I want. Suggestions/Complaints/Ideas are welcome

2 pairs of Clowns one set ocelaris and 1 designer
Yellow tang
Goby/shrimp pair
Algae blenny
3 Fairy Wrasses
Flame Angel
Cleaner shrimp
2 sexy shrimp
Dwarf angel (maybe)
Chromis 5-10?
Fox face
Hippo Tang
Urchin
Brittle star
Naisairus snails
Turbo snails
Green Mandarin - when pods get established
Ruby Mandarin - when pods get established

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have experience with a tank that sized, but the stocking is too much (fish wise). Hopefully someone with better experience will come and prove me wrong!!!

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Clowns- I would stick to one pair only. It takes experience to keep more than a pair, I’d go for the regular Ocellaris as I’m not a fan of designer Clowns but it’s your call.

2. Yellow Tang- Great.

3. Shrimp and Goby pair- Great.

4. Algae Blenny- Great. I’ve heard people say the Starry accepts prepared food a lot more readily than the Lawnmower, but I could be wrong.

5. 3 Fairy Wrasses- 1 of each species. evolved is the guy to talk to. Generally harems don’t work out in our systems because they often all turn male.

6. Flame Angel- Great.

7. Chromis- People have mixed results keeping them in shoals. Oftentimes they dwindle down to one, maybe 2 or 3. I don’t know the success rate so ask. Some say keeping them in a group of 6 or more increases your chance of success but I’m not the expert.

8. Foxface- Great. Good algae eater. IMO if you can get one of the rarer varieties like the Bicolor or Magnificent even better.

9. Dwarf angel- The Flame is considered a Dwarf Angel. Are you considering adding more than one?

10. Hippo Tang- I own a book by Rudie Kuiter that says most of the Indo-Pacific variant top out at 8” while max size is about 11.5”. Not sure how true that is so please ask if a 6’ (which I assume your tank is, 6 x 2 x 2) is OK for life.

If I were you instead of Chromis I’d look at some other varieties of damsels and other kinds of smaller fish.

Yellow Pyramid Butterflies and Genicanthus angels are planktivores. They’re often considered to be the least risk to corals.

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Very good information. Tank is 6 x 2 x 2. I wouldn't mind having more than one angel. I've heard good things about the Genicanthus angels so probably get one of those. Of course the tangs go in last. I've had problems in the past with the damsels bullying my clowns. But that was a small tank so maybe not such a problem in the larger tank.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Very good information. Tank is 6 x 2 x 2. I wouldn't mind having more than one angel. I've heard good things about the Genicanthus angels so probably get one of those. Of course the tangs go in last. I've had problems in the past with the damsels bullying my clowns. But that was a small tank so maybe not such a problem in the larger tank.
NO!!!! Damsels are a**holes no matter where you put them. Let me tell you a story.
Once my LFS had a tank where they put predatory fish. Puffers, lion fish, tusks, angelfish, parrotfish, sharks, you name it they had it. Then they put a particularly mean little striped damsel into this aquarium. Have you ever seen a lion fish get bullied to death by a minnow sized fish? Well I have. Damsels are the single most aggressive fish in the hobby. Even in a large tank like yours, you’d need to get a ‘peaceful’ damsel and add it with the tangs. Azure and Allen’s damsels are nicest IME

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO!!!! Damsels are a**holes no matter where you put them. Let me tell you a story.
Once my LFS had a tank where they put predatory fish. Puffers, lion fish, tusks, angelfish, parrotfish, sharks, you name it they had it. Then they put a particularly mean little striped damsel into this aquarium. Have you ever seen a lion fish get bullied to death by a minnow sized fish? Well I have. Damsels are the single most aggressive fish in the hobby. Even in a large tank like yours, you’d need to get a ‘peaceful’ damsel and add it with the tangs. Azure and Allen’s damsels are nicest IME
I had Springeri's which are supposed to be peaceful. Nope, no more damsels. I've got 4 chromis in my 28 g nano which are doing fine. Think I'll get some for the new tank as well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back