Stocking list/ideas for 125 gal

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm waiting on my build to progress, I've been trying to get a fish list put together. For my 66 gal, I've relied on what I can find locally. This time, even if it means ordering, I want to plan what I want, with being flexible of course.

Tank is 6' 125 gal with a 30 gal sump (Bashsea bio-fuge 36"). Sump will have refuge, pods, LR. I'll also be using some live rock from current tanks to add to new dry rock in the 125. I will have lots of rock with tons of crevices and caves and hideouts and swim thrus. I'll also be taking prob. a year to stock, no more than 2-4 at a shot as my QT tank is a 39 gal. Some will be in the 2-5 month time after cycle, others 6-9 moths

So here is my wish list. Yes, before I'm jumped, I need to par down. A LOT. Some questions which will help:
Can I have just 1 of each Wrasse? Or do they need to be in groups.
Can I have just one each Anthia or do they need groups of 3
How many tangs and which ones.

I'm trying to balance the rock-sand dwellers from column swimmers. I'm not sure if I'll follow the add 2 units from group A, 1 from Group B, 1 from Group C (counts as 2 units) or the 2" per 10 gal for sm-md, 1" per 10 gal large

For the most part, I'm aiming at fish in the 3-4 inch range with just a couple bigger
Remember: wish list, not going to do list ;Smuggrin
Rock/Sand dwellers
1 Blenny bi color ?? Like blenny's a lot
1 blenny lawn Mower ?? Not sure as I won't always have algae Maybe another blenny
1 Royal Gramma or firefish?? Both are petty, prob. one only if at all
1 Flame Hawk
1 Goby/shrimp pair/ Can I have a jaw fish too?
1 Goby spike fin
1 Dragonette--maybe after a while. Will see. I love my scooter.
3-5 Barnacle Blenny--very small, rock dwellers, not much bio load but fun to watch if you can find them....

Column swimmers
1 Angel Flame or 1 Coral Beauty. Assume I cannot have one of ea.
1-3 Wrasse-Lubbocks
1-3 Wrasse-Whip Fin or Wrasse orange/black
1-3Anthia Cariberryi
1-3 Anthia Bartletts
3-5 Chromis Lemon and or
3-5 Chromis Agile
Kole or Yellow or Tomini Tang--Can I have 2?

So what should not be part of this wish list, is there an addition you think is worth considering. I like the busy look of fish going about their businesses. I prob. won't do clowns or blue chromis as I have those in my other tank.

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first try and see what you want, a peaceful tank or a evil tank, I use those terms very loosely. Once you know that you can then source your fish. Also what type of any corals you want in there, I can help you with the experience I have had with my tank

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@chewy tabacca I def. want a more peaceful tank. I'd love to have several bigger fish as more show fish. Love seeing a group of yellow tangs. Had a kole in my 66 and loved to watch him. I also like schools and flashes of color.

Oh Corals. Prob. softies like leathers, LPS like duncans torches etc. A mixed tank. I love micromussa's too. I have a mix in my 66. Some sps's . I working on a coral wish list and when I get my rocks and do my scape, I'd like to plan those as well.

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some information through experience to share with you, I am just about to step out but I will share in sections when I have time. I have had angels, and I had 7 anthias, down to 5 but it is a steady 5 now. Also experienced with tangs and have 5 chromis 2 clowns, 2 spot goby, cleaner wrasse, copperband, and one damsel.

SDboatguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tominis are cool, you could add another tang- zebrasoma (yellow ,sailfin , purple) Some of the rabittfishes are pretty cool as well and will mix with Tomini and zebra. Mine do get a little feisty from time to time(I've had a orange spot rabbit , purple and a tomini for 5+ years) but never too the point where i'd take 1 out.

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole reason I got into the hobby was for the flame angel. I got him and he ate 3 of my lps corals, so if you plan to get a angel, don't plan on certain lps. He ate 2 of my gianapora's and one of my zoa colony. Cost me about 250$ in coral in 1 week. I have heard of people having success with them in a lps or mixed tank however I have heard ten fold more stories of them niping lps. Whether it is instantly or 6 months down the road. Some people say if you keep their bellies full they won't eat coral, but if you miss one feeding say goodbye. And once they get the taste, they don't stop

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess not lps but softies as well. Chromis, you can't go wrong in a peaceful tank, they school they look beautiful they usually draw your eye first because they are in the open. I have 4 blue green, and one by colour. The biggest colour does his own thing just chills in and out of rocks minds his business and has a personality of his own. He is a under the radar cute fish
bfb638f88c22e018e135a27091dcc9e6.jpg
4599bb4ed1fa60518bf81e9b7899702d.jpg

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly enough my blue green chromis are the most social with humans, you walk up to the tank and they come to the surface thinking they are getting fed. I will tell you about the rest when I later today when I get home

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, @chewy tabacca That is my fear with the angels. Yet I see so many tanks that have them. I wonder if captive breed have a better chance? They are just such beautiful fish!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back