Stocking List

SeaMonkeys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All I just wanted to get some opinions on what to add to my reef tank from my list of possible fish (also if you have any suggestions that would be great as well). The tank has been up and running for a few years now and is a 175 gallon mixed reef tank with a 125 gallon sump. Currently there is a blue hippo tang, green chromis, two clowns, sixline, two bangai, and a red scooter dragonet. Here is my list of possible fish I thought would be nice to add:

Foxface
Yellow Tang
Coral Beauty angelfish (Understand this might eat coral)
flame angelfish (Understand this might eat coral)
Royal Gramma basslet
Yellow watchman and pistol shrimp pair
flame hawkfish
starry blenny
midas blenny
engineer goby
group of Zebra bared dartfish
another wrasse but not sure with the sixline

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the yellow and blue may fight initially, the coral beauty and flame should be added at the same time to avoid aggression and keep plenty of algae sheets in the tank. The hawkfish may go after the bennies and dragonet.
the engineer goby may knock corals over I'm not too knowledgeable about them.
otherwise seems good

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For angels, I risk it only if I have very little or open rock work where I can catch them if I need them removed. Just in case you may reconsider having one or them.

For the zebra barred dartfish, you'll want to make sure you have a lid or something. These guys like to carpet surf especially in thunderstorms. Beautiful fish though.

You need more fish movement in the water column I feel. You have a lot of stationary fish. How about a few anthias?

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's some great advice. I like the idea of anthias. Any suggestion on what ones to add to the list?

I've only kept bartletts, dispars, lyretails and squarebacks.

Depending on what color and size your looking for will determine what you want. Most are stemming off the color orange but the lyretail mails are more red, while bartlett males are pretty bright pink and yellow. If you want larger fish size, the squarebacks get big with the lyretails being behind that with them being in the 5"-7" ranges. The bartletts and dispars are smaller 3"- 4" range.

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love blue throat trigger fish and anthias compaible with your list and current stock.. so if your looking for more fish:
Mated pair of blue throat trigger fish
3-5 anthias

Scwahl44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow and blue might fight , other than that your stocking list looks okay , it would actually turn out to be an awesome looking tank, lots of variety and colors

OP
OP
SeaMonkeys

SeaMonkeys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will definitely looking into anthias and triggers. I am planning to upgrade to a 250 to 300 gallon sometime next year after I finish my. Basement and those would be great additions.

OP
OP
SeaMonkeys

SeaMonkeys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am looking to pickup the first additions to the tank this weekend now that I think the list is complete. The question is what would everyone recommend for a stocking order from the list bellow or what should be in the first group.

starry blenny
midas blenny
Foxface
Royal Gramma basslet
Coral Beauty angelfish
Tailspot blenny
group of 3 Zebra bared dartfish
flame hawkfish
3 dispar anthias
blue throat trigger
Yellow Tang
engineer goby(Still under debate)

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definately want to put the blennies and flame hawkfish in at the same time and the tang, foxface and triggers in last
Maybe the dartfish or anthias first

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%
Back