Stocking Opinion’s

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon basic aquarium dimensions 48x13x21 with rock just on the sand bed not stacked up so I have a bigger swim colum. I also have a 20 gallon long sump so full system is around 65 gallons. My questions is, is my stocking idea to much or to little, open to everyone’s opinions before I start buying fish!

What I have: 2 clownfish, 1 yellow watchmen goby, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 tiger pistol shrimp, have a handful of astralia snails, Cortez and Scarlett hermits, and 2 emerald crabs

I plan on getting: Mandarin goby, 1 yellow coris wrasse, 1 yellow tang (biota), 1 coral beauty, 1 royal gramma, plan on getting more variety of snails, more hermits, and 2 more emerald crabs

Do you think this is too many fish?
Will there be issues with certain fish clashing?

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy I have your exact tank with almost the exact stocking or plans…

Current-
2 clowns
YWG/Pistol
Mandarin
Coral Beauty
Small Blue Hippo (I have a 180 coming within the next 6 months)
Random snails/crabs

I don’t have a sump, just a HOB filter and HOB skimmer and it currently handles my bio load easily and everyone gets along great.

Plans-
Wrasse of some sort
Firefish

Outside of swapping the Firefish for the gramma it’s identical although my Tang won’t be in long term but the tank can handle it just fine.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy I have your exact tank with almost the exact stocking or plans…

Current-
2 clowns
YWG/Pistol
Mandarin
Coral Beauty
Small Blue Hippo (I have a 180 coming within the next 6 months)
Random snails/crabs

I don’t have a sump, just a HOB filter and HOB skimmer and it currently handles my bio load easily and everyone gets along great.

Plans-
Wrasse of some sort
Firefish

Outside of swapping the Firefish for the gramma it’s identical although my Tang won’t be in long term but the tank can handle it just fine.
Perfect, although I don’t have anything in mind I know my tang won’t be in there long enough for him to outgrow it, due to me already almost capping out my tank of on corals… slight addiction… What wrasse do you have in mind?

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some sort of flasher or fairy probably…I buy all my fish in person, I like to see their colors and personality before I buy them so it just depends on what I find that I like first

I bought a melanarus a few months ago that the fish store literally gave to me straight from the shipping box to them and said it would be easier on the fish to acclimate once than to acclimate to their tank just to reacclimate to mine a short time later…well it came with an infection of some sort and died a few days later so still looking for the right one

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some sort of flasher or fairy probably…I buy all my fish in person, I like to see their colors and personality before I buy them so it just depends on what I find that I like first

I bought a melanarus a few months ago that the fish store literally gave to me straight from the shipping box to them and said it would be easier on the fish to acclimate once than to acclimate to their tank just to reacclimate to mine a short time later…well it came with an infection of some sort and died a few days later so still looking for the right one
Same happened to me except with a powder blue and they said it had been in the tank for 2 hours and to just drip acclimate for a longer time, he lasted quite a bit and didn’t show signs until I put him in my display and wiped out my display… so now I’m back to the drawing board with a lesson learned.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back