Stocking options for 75 gall

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have a 75-gallon tank that has been up a little over a year. I am interested in getting more fish for my tank but I want to check with the community.
IMG_6379.JPG

My livestock right now:

Fish
:
2x Ocelaris clownfish
2x Red firefish
1x Cherub angelfish
1x 6 line wrasse

CUC:
7x Astrea snails
5x Nassarius snails
1x Peppermint shrimp
2x Trochus snails
1x Mexican turbo snail
1x Nerite snail (laying a ton of eggs)
3x Blue leg hermit crabs

What I want to get in the future:

Fish:
2 or 3 Banggai cardinalfish (I don't know if I would get a pair or 3)
1 Yellow tang (when they are available for a reasonable price)

1 mandarin gobyfish (one my tank has been running for a few years with a estabelsed microphana population)

CUC:
1 or 2 Skunk cleaner shrimp
5x Blue leg hermit crabs
5x Cerith snails

Do these fish mix well together? I need more fish to raise my nutrients. If anyone has input on what I should get, I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

steven m

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on the six line wrasse. I had one a few years ago and it killed my trio of helfrichi fire fish in a week after adding the sixline to the tank. Also bullied my pintail wrasse until it died. Not all sixlines are the same, just be aware that they are known for being mean.

OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have heard many times that 6 lines can be aggressive, but it seems (so far) that he is getting along really well with the other fish. If it starts to harras or nip at other fish, I have an acclimation box to put him in. Thanks for the tip.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice scape! You're right on the edge with a Yellow Tang in a 75. They like to swim a bit... I have one for 16 years in my 90 g , but my rockwork is to the bottom third of the tank which may help with the swimming space.
I'd suggest adding either a sand sifting , brittle or serpent star to that CUC. Will really help stir the bottom up a bit. Perhaps a fighting conch as well? Will help in keeping that sand nice and clean looking. I like Banggais , thats a nice choice imo. What about a Flame Angel? I'd say Coral Beauty but might have a bit of a war develop with the Cherub that way....

MugenReef95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a nice community tank just like yours and i added a valentini puffer fish and love the guy has so much personality and is smarter than the usual fish always greats me with food maybe try a valentini puffer

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I want to get in the future:

Fish:
2 or 3 Banggai cardinalfish (I don't know if I would get a pair or 3)
Fine. Keep in mind that you have to get lucky enough to get a male+female
1 Yellow tang (when they are available for a reasonable price)
Arguably okay... maybe not....judgement call. Any in the bristletooth genus (Ctenochaetus) would be a little smaller and a little less aggressive, like kole, tomini, square tail, white tail...but not chevron.
1 mandarin gobyfish (one my tank has been running for a few years with a estabelsed microphana population)
The sixline makes me a little nervous with this one. For one, they are constant pod hunters, but I've also heard rumor of them going after mandarins.

OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice scape! You're right on the edge with a Yellow Tang in a 75. They like to swim a bit... I have one for 16 years in my 90 g , but my rockwork is to the bottom third of the tank which may help with the swimming space.
I'd suggest adding either a sand sifting , brittle or serpent star to that CUC. Will really help stir the bottom up a bit. Perhaps a fighting conch as well? Will help in keeping that sand nice and clean looking. I like Banggais , thats a nice choice imo. What about a Flame Angel? I'd say Coral Beauty but might have a bit of a war develop with the Cherub that way....
Thanks! I saw that BRS put a small tang in a 40-gallon breeder, they said to replace it after It outgrows the tank. I don't know that much about starfish in a tank, but ill look into it. I don't know if I'm right but I heard that you shouldn't keep more than one dwarf angelfish in a tank for aggression issues, is that correct? Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a nice community tank just like yours and i added a valentini puffer fish and love the guy has so much personality and is smarter than the usual fish always greats me with food maybe try a valentini puffer
Cool! I don't know that much about pufferfish either, but I can look into it. What is yours like/where did you get it from/ what does it eat? Thanks.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I saw that BRS put a small tang in a 40-gallon breeder, they said to replace it after It outgrows the tank. I don't know that much about starfish in a tank, but ill look into it. I don't know if I'm right but I heard that you shouldn't keep more than one dwarf angelfish in a tank for aggression issues, is that correct? Thanks for the help.
For sure, if planning on upgrading to a larger from the 40g a small Yellow would work, for awhile. Never know, a YT may be perfectly happy in your 75 for life , all depends on the fish.
As for the Serpent and Brittle stars they aren't 'true' starfish in strictest sense but they do wonders as CUC and are cool to watch. They'll also clean up areas you just can't get to yourself.
Dwarf Angels indeed are a little moody with one another in some cases but its not impossible. I have an Eibli and a Coral Beauty in my 90. First 2 or 3 days rough for the Eibli but now all are well adjusted. At a 75g you might consider it as well, you seem to have a good amount of rockwork for them to hide and establish territory.
CB and Eibli to the RHS of the Nem. Actually in thinking why not try a small Anemone? Perhaps a BTA? Your tank is mature enough now, no corals mentioned so when it wanders you don't have much to worry about.
20210301_183015.jpg
20210301_163846.jpg

MugenReef95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! I don't know that much about pufferfish either, but I can look into it. What is yours like/where did you get it from/ what does it eat? Thanks.
I honestly just feed mine pellets, some flakes, and mysis shrimp frozen to help with his teeth eats like a pig never picky
i found him at my local fish shop for 20 bucks lol

OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fine. Keep in mind that you have to get lucky enough to get a male+female

Arguably okay... maybe not....judgement call. Any in the bristletooth genus (Ctenochaetus) would be a little smaller and a little less aggressive, like kole, tomini, square tail, white tail...but not chevron.

The sixline makes me a little nervous with this one. For one, they are constant pod hunters, but I've also heard rumor of them going after mandarins.
Thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity, if yellow tangs may not be the best for my tank then why are they so common among other tanks? I also have 2 firefish, my LFS said that they like to be in schools, so should I get another one?

Thanks for the help.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, if yellow tangs may not be the best for my tank then why are they so common among other tanks?
Because they are iconic, and bright yellow, and swim in the open, and they eat some algae, and they used to be really cheap.

I also have 2 firefish, my LFS said that they like to be in schools, so should I get another one?
Some dartfish will live in groups, like the zebra and scissor tail. Your 2 firefish are best off as a pair, actually.

OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure, if planning on upgrading to a larger from the 40g a small Yellow would work, for awhile. Never know, a YT may be perfectly happy in your 75 for life , all depends on the fish.
As for the Serpent and Brittle stars they aren't 'true' starfish in strictest sense but they do wonders as CUC and are cool to watch. They'll also clean up areas you just can't get to yourself.
Dwarf Angels indeed are a little moody with one another in some cases but its not impossible. I have an Eibli and a Coral Beauty in my 90. First 2 or 3 days rough for the Eibli but now all are well adjusted. At a 75g you might consider it as well, you seem to have a good amount of rockwork for them to hide and establish territory.
CB and Eibli to the RHS of the Nem. Actually in thinking why not try a small Anemone? Perhaps a BTA? Your tank is mature enough now, no corals mentioned so when it wanders you don't have much to worry about.
20210301_183015.jpg
20210301_163846.jpg
Cool tank! I'll think about getting another angelfish, I always wanted a Coral Beauty. Also, just a quick question, when my female clownfish was misbehaving I put her in the sup for about a week, and when I took her out the angelfish started chasing her around the tank. Also when I put my 6-line in the angelfish chased it around the tank. Does that happen to you when you add more fish? Should I put the angelfish in an acclimation box when I get a new fish? I like the idea of getting a starfish. About the anemone then. I have always wanted to get one, one time my uncle had a tank with 2 clownfish and a nem and both of the fish died but the nem lived on. I always thought It was a cool story.

Getting an anemone for my tank

Pros:
  • Not a lot of corals yet so the nem could move around and find its "spot".
  • The tank has been running for a little over a year now, so I think I would be ready.
  • Me and my clownfish would love it.
Cons:
  • I want to fill the tank up with corals
  • I have never had anemones before
  • I don't want the nem to move all over the tank

So there, I am not sure if an anemone would be right for my tank but I would love one.

I am interested in what you think about this,

Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they are iconic, and bright yellow, and swim in the open, and they eat some algae, and they used to be really cheap.

Some dartfish will live in groups, like the zebra and scissor tail. Your 2 firefish are best off as a pair, actually.
Cool! Good to know, thanks.

OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to order my livestock today. Here's what I have in my cart, any final thoughts?

• Kaudern's Cardinalfish, Captive-Bred
  • Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab
  • Cerith Snail
  • Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
  • Aquacultured Mountain Dew Toadstool Coral
Thanks

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle tooth tangs
Square tail is a very cool looking fish

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 46 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back