Stocking options for 75 gall

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool tank! I'll think about getting another angelfish, I always wanted a Coral Beauty. Also, just a quick question, when my female clownfish was misbehaving I put her in the sup for about a week, and when I took her out the angelfish started chasing her around the tank. Also when I put my 6-line in the angelfish chased it around the tank. Does that happen to you when you add more fish? Should I put the angelfish in an acclimation box when I get a new fish? I like the idea of getting a starfish. About the anemone then. I have always wanted to get one, one time my uncle had a tank with 2 clownfish and a nem and both of the fish died but the nem lived on. I always thought It was a cool story.

Getting an anemone for my tank

Pros:
  • Not a lot of corals yet so the nem could move around and find its "spot".
  • The tank has been running for a little over a year now, so I think I would be ready.
  • Me and my clownfish would love it.
Cons:
  • I want to fill the tank up with corals
  • I have never had anemones before
  • I don't want the nem to move all over the tank

So there, I am not sure if an anemone would be right for my tank but I would love one.

I am interested in what you think about this,

Thanks for the info.
Thanks. Every time I have introduced there is some aggression. Usually for a day or two. Although in saying that, I don't add often. My Eibli was back in Dec. Before that was an Anthia that failed (they need fed constant and I have no auto feeder), before that my Coral Beauty about 4 years ago. Some have devised a tank divider that I have heard of, others utilize a mirror, to keep the aggressor in line. You could try the newbie in an acclimation box rather than the existing would be the way I'd probably go.
Yes Nems aren't for all, they are both beautiful and can be stressful if they start to wander. I've been lucky to have zero warfare over the years when my Long Tent decides to up and move.
Your Cherub is a fairly aggressive species so not surprising to me that it plays bully from time to time. Six line also known to have a bit of a streak, so they are definitely trying to sort it, between them.

I like your stock list for your order. It's not over the top and responsible choices imo. You are taking it slow and steady which is what wins this race!

Cavalina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on the six line wrasse. I had one a few years ago and it killed my trio of helfrichi fire fish in a week after adding the sixline to the tank. Also bullied my pintail wrasse until it died. Not all sixlines are the same, just be aware that they are known for being mean.
Wow, really? The 6 line in my 75 G--we call him Seis--is as peaceful as they come. Lives quite amicably with the other inhabitants (pair of Ocelaris, pair of engineer gobies, purple tang, and coral beauty).

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini tang is a better size for 75g vs yellow.

I have one, very active and keeps the rock clean.
They do have a nice colour pattern, makes me wish I could add one with my yellow lol....methinks 'Deuce' would be none too happy though. Also in a 90, with existing stock....you are tempting me here though. Ugh.

OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle tooth tangs
Square tail is a very cool looking fish

I have one, very active and keeps the rock clean.
I was going to order from live aquaria, but it looks like the tangs are out of stock. I think I will just order my Banggiais and wait a few weeks (or when the Tomini tang comes in stock) to get the fish.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to order from live aquaria, but it looks like the tangs are out of stock. I think I will just order my Banggiais and wait a few weeks (or when the Tomini tang comes in stock) to get the fish.
Give it 6-8 weeks after you order the Banggais imo, minimum. See what your bioload is at, that point.

OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Every time I have introduced there is some aggression. Usually for a day or two. Although in saying that, I don't add often. My Eibli was back in Dec. Before that was an Anthia that failed (they need fed constant and I have no auto feeder), before that my Coral Beauty about 4 years ago. Some have devised a tank divider that I have heard of, others utilize a mirror, to keep the aggressor in line. You could try the newbie in an acclimation box rather than the existing would be the way I'd probably go.
Yes Nems aren't for all, they are both beautiful and can be stressful if they start to wander. I've been lucky to have zero warfare over the years when my Long Tent decides to up and move.
Your Cherub is a fairly aggressive species so not surprising to me that it plays bully from time to time. Six line also known to have a bit of a streak, so they are definitely trying to sort it, between them.

I like your stock list for your order. It's not over the top and responsible choices imo. You are taking it slow and steady which is what wins this race!
Cool, I think when I get my fish I will put them in the box for a day or so. An anemone may not be right for me, I would rather be safe than sorry.

OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, really? The 6 line in my 75 G--we call him Seis--is as peaceful as they come. Lives quite amicably with the other inhabitants (pair of Ocelaris, pair of engineer gobies, purple tang, and coral beauty).
Same, all of my fish are completely fine with my 6-line (although my cherub has a bit of a nudge) and the wrasse is fine with the fish.

OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an update on the livestock.
I ordered 2 Banggai Cardinalfish from LiveAquaria, and I live in the northeast so it was pretty cold at the beginning of this month, and the shipment was delayed a day. When I got the package the heat pad was still warm, and I immediately put the bag in the sump. After about half an hour, one of the Banggai's was up and swimming around, but the other was dead and had its head in a corner. I drip acclimated the other Banggai for about an hour and then put him (yes it's a male I checked) in an acclimation box in the tank. So far he has been doing really well, none of the other fish bully him, no signs of diseases, and he eats very well. I am pretty happy with my purchase.

A week or two after I added the Banggai, my 6-line started harassing and chasing my firefish. My firefish hid and when they tried to come out the 6-line would chase them back in. We assumed that the firefish were goners. Unfortunately, our wrasse was very curious, and when I turned the pumps off to feed the fish, I forgot to turn them back on and the 6-line went into the powerhead, and of course, without looking at the powerheads I turned the pumps on and... yes, sadly that was the end of my wrasse.

Recently my firefish came back out and are living happily with the other fish as they did. Here is my revised fish list (in order of preference)
  • 1x Female Banggai Cardinalfish (I will go to lfs to see)
  • 1x Tomini tang
  • 1x Coral beauty
  • 1x Royal gramma
One last thought is about getting another 6-line. Any thoughts? Should I return firefish to get one? Should I get one?

Just felt like giving an update. Thanks.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on the six line wrasse. I had one a few years ago and it killed my trio of helfrichi fire fish in a week after adding the sixline to the tank. Also bullied my pintail wrasse until it died. Not all sixlines are the same, just be aware that they are known for being mean.
I’m worried cause I got one sixline and out him in quarantine with my mccoskers flasher wrasse but they were ok. If anything my mccoskers chased him
A bit but I’m hoping now when I add my mccoskers to my tank the sixline won’t kill it. I heard they can be really aggressive

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice scape! You're right on the edge with a Yellow Tang in a 75. They like to swim a bit... I have one for 16 years in my 90 g , but my rockwork is to the bottom third of the tank which may help with the swimming space.
I'd suggest adding either a sand sifting , brittle or serpent star to that CUC. Will really help stir the bottom up a bit. Perhaps a fighting conch as well? Will help in keeping that sand nice and clean looking. I like Banggais , thats a nice choice imo. What about a Flame Angel? I'd say Coral Beauty but might have a bit of a war develop with the Cherub that way....
Get a multicolor angel, they are beautiful!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back