Stocking order

adamlodge14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I had a question about which fish would be good to add to my tank first.
My tank is 15 gallons with lots of rockwork.
I already have a yasha goby/ randalls pistol shrimp pair and a pink streaked wrasse is arriving tomorrow.
The other fish i was thinking of getting were, a pictus blenny and some sort of other fish (firefish, cardinalfish, royal gramma)
I put the yasha goby/ pistol and the wrasse in first because they are very shy fish, what would be best to put in next? (the blenny or one of the other fish above). I also have a cleaner shrimp, and a couple of snails.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 fish and 2 shrimp is a lot for a 15 gallon. I think three would be about the max, but even that is pushing it, and the shrimps are the bio-load equivalent of another fish. If you want to do corals (or anything beyond some hardy soft corals), you may want to stick to just two fish. A tank that small with that kind of bio-load is going to be tough to manage nitrates-wise, you’ll need either a good skimmer and a refugium or do massive weekly/biweekly water changes.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add any more, maybe think about a Trimma or Eviota goby (or 3-5). Maybe a yellow clown goby or green or similar (2 would work). A neon goby is out and about with funny personality too. Can be happy in 15g.
A firefish would be fine, but a cardinal fish (depending on kind) will get too big. Royal Gramma would probably be okay.

OP
OP
adamlodge14

adamlodge14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 fish and 2 shrimp is a lot for a 15 gallon. I think three would be about the max, but even that is pushing it, and the shrimps are the bio-load equivalent of another fish. If you want to do corals (or anything beyond some hardy soft corals), you may want to stick to just two fish. A tank that small with that kind of bio-load is going to be tough to manage nitrates-wise, you’ll need either a good skimmer and a refugium or do massive weekly/biweekly water changes.
I have seen many successful reef tanks with more than I am planning to put in, but I completely understand where you are coming from. I want to do what's best for the fish. I should mention that I have a protein skimmer and am prepared to do bigger water changes. Additionally, pink-streaked wrasses and Yasha gobies max out at 2 inches, they are very small fish. I think i will get one other fish with them and see how it goes. Also planning to get some lps soon! (i already have a few zoas, pulsing xenia, sinularia finger and a mushroom) - which i am feeding with reef roids and red sea ab+

OP
OP
adamlodge14

adamlodge14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add any more, maybe think about a Trimma or Eviota goby (or 3-5). Maybe a yellow clown goby or green or similar (2 would work). A neon goby is out and about with funny personality too. Can be happy in 15g.
A firefish would be fine, but a cardinal fish (depending on kind) will get too big. Royal Gramma would probably be okay.
Would the Yasha goby bother the trimma or eviota gobies? would it bother the firefish?
I was thinking banggai cardinalfish, ive seen they max out at 3 inches, similar to the gramma so i thought it would be ok?
I think i will get one more fish after the wrasse and goby and see how it goes. (one of the smaller fish - love the look of green clown gobies!)

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bangaii do not get as large, but they are more like 3" by 3" rather than a 3" by 3/4" as the dottyback would be. So, the spacing look is different, as is swimming area. Does that make sense? The clown gobies in general are fun.
The yasha would not bother the tiny gobies. Those guys swim around and perch on rocks, coral, sand, should be no issue. Oops, the gobies/your goby will not bother the firefish. Probably pay no attention to each other really.

OP
OP
adamlodge14

adamlodge14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bangaii do not get as large, but they are more like 3" by 3" rather than a 3" by 3/4" as the dottyback would be. So, the spacing look is different, as is swimming area. Does that make sense? The clown gobies in general are fun.
The yasha would not bother the tiny gobies. Those guys swim around and perch on rocks, coral, sand, should be no issue. Oops, the gobies/your goby will not bother the firefish. Probably pay no attention to each other really.
Yes, I get what you mean, they are quite a tall fish as well as long. I quite like the sound of a purple firefish because it would be nice to have another fish that swims around like the wrasse, rather than just perch on rocks the whole time, IMO.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back