Stocking plan... Advice

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2 month old 38 gallon aqueon. 36" long. It currently has mushrooms, cloves, gsp, a torch, zoa colonies and a monti frag. 2 small oc clowns 3 snails and 5 zebra hermits with a fire shrimp. I plan on getting some more cuc, and my final stocking wants are some sort of goby, a flame angel and heres the kicker, a yellow tang. Plan to stock the angel last, but thoughts on yellow tang, I would look for a juvenile, 2" range. My plan is to upgrade to a minimum 90 gallon to possibly 120 in a year. And this is a serious ambition, not just talk. Do you see an issue housing a juvenile in this tank for 12-16 months?

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the biggest issue with “planning to upgrade” is that plans change, even if you are super serious about upgrading, unless you have the tank in hand with all the bits pieces setup and cycling I am going to say no to the tang.

Depending on what goby you are like 99% fine.
Your current setup is on the smaller side for a flame (most recommend a 48” tank or a 75 gal), but I see no issues with a flame, just be careful because as I am sure you have heard they can/will nip your coral. If you are willing to risk it then you are good to go imo.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with waiting until you get the 90/120 to get the tang. I would recommend waiting on the angel too.

bryanfuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to not be as conservative about fish stocking as most people are. I think the flame and goby are definitely fine. I think a real small yellow tang would be fine for a year but not more than that. If you do upgrade to a 90+, perfect move it in there once it’s cycled. But if plans fall through, you can always just give it back to the fish store.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a fowlr tank for about 10 years in the 2000's. Should be in a good financial spot to go to a 90+ within the year. Either way for now, next fish is a goby. Will let things stabilize a few weeks after and give it some more thought. Thanks for the advice. Any other fish reccomendations? Any of the Gobys more accepting of being fed than other?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other fish reccomendations? Any of the Gobys more accepting of being fed than other?

For the goby, you want to stay away from sand sifting or sleeper gobies, as a lot of the time they don't take prepared food. Despite sometimes being incorrectly called a diamond watchman goby, diamond gobies are sand sifters. Any of the watchman are great. Yellow or yasha are popular. My favorite is the pink spotted. Clown gobies are nice little fish for small tanks too.

A firefish, royal gramma, cardinal, or blenny would make a good addition.

If you really want a dwarf angel, flame back or cherub stay smaller than the flame.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back