Stocking questions

tatmanfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning my new tank and as I'm widdling down my list, I'd like some help of eliminating non compatible fish. Trying to keep to mostly smaller fish with maybe 1 or 2 slightly larger fish. This will be a mostly sps tank with limited lps.

I have a 105g corner that's 32" depth, 30" height, and 45" long (front corner to front corner).

Here's my list...

Trio of bartlets or princess anthias
Bicolor blenny
Blue saphire damsel
Pair of Helfrichi firefish
Green mandarin
Ruby dragonet
Blackcap basslet
Purple dottyback
Agile chromis
Black and white chromis
Panamic blenny
Tracis damsel
Catalina goby
Orangeback fairy wrasse
Red velvet fairy wrasse
Blue dot jawfish
Black ice clown or midnight clown (possible pair)
Blue head fairy wrasse
Ruby head fairy wrasse
Coral beauty angel
Power blue tang

I know the tang may eventually outgrow the tank, but I'm aiming for a juvenile and I'm prepared to have to one day part ways and get another juvenile.

Only ones that are a must have are the anthias, firefish, and tang.

Most fish will be able to be acquired as juveniles and all but a few full size are between 2-5 inches. I know stocking order and care levels, just want to eliminate anythiingnthat might not be compatible.

Any advice on thinning this list some would be appreciated.

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut the damsel, catalina gobys are cold(-er) water afaik. Blannys dont usually tolerate other blennys or fish that look similar, might still work in a 100g, dont think so tough.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would read this thread and use @evolved chart regarding your wrasse selections here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/

I would pick one of these three if you have to have one: Orangeback fairy wrasse, Blue head fairy wrasse, or Ruby head fairy wrasse. they are all from the same subfamily and could be aggressive toward each other. The red velvet is on the aggressive side of the spectrum for wrasses so if you add it I would shy away from the others.

The Blue Dot jawfish needs about 3 inches of sand plus I beleive they also do better is cooler tanks. I also think the PBT would be a terror in that tank. I would shoot for a Kole or even a favorite of mine a White Tail bristletooth if you really want a tang.

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at the white tail but that price is just to high for me. I like the the look of the two spot bristletooth (Ctenochaetus binotatus) and the price difference makes it look even better.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been looking at the white tail but that price is just to high for me. I like the the look of the two spot bristletooth (Ctenochaetus binotatus) and the price difference makes it look even better.
Still a much better choice than a PBT. Good luck

OP
OP
tatmanfish

tatmanfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That helps guys! Problem I have with a tang is I don't like the color on most common tangs like the kole.

The white tail may be an option. That's one I haven't really come across. Thanks

Also appreciate the help with fish of the same sub species. That's where I was mostly clueless.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple dottyback is aggressive, and will problematic with several of the fish on the list.

Catalina gobies and blue spot jawfish need cooler temps.

The black and white chromis behaves like a damsel.

As mentioned above, 3 of the 4 fairy wrasses are with in the same complex of species, so there is potential for increased aggression.

That tank is far too small for a powder blue tang.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 101 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back