Stocking Rule

Wonderland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have heard the new rule of thumb, after a tank cycles, is to add no more than one new fish a month. This seems to directly conflict with oft-given advice to introduce multiple fish of the same genre at the same time (Tangs for example) to avert the possibility of territorial aggression. Mind you, I realize it will be a while before any tank is ready for Tangs. Thoughts?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not really a rule of thumb when adding fish, but I do like the thought of this suggestion of one fish per month. I have watched a bunch of members add large amounts of fish at once just to lose them to stress, causing diseases or bio loads of the system not adjusting quick enough for the fish. :)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all about the biofiltration being able to keep up with the bioload being added. With the first 3-4 fish, that is a good suggestion. However, once there are a few fish, adding a few at a rime shouldn't pose much of an issue for the biofiltration.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back