Stocking suggestions 54 gallon

Snarbleglarf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I just purchased a 54 gallon Red Sea reefer 250 and I’m curious what y’all would suggest for fish to stock it with?
I currently have in a separate tank that will be moved over to the new system:
2 Ocellaris clowns
2 Yellow watchman goby
1 springeri damsel

I’m already wanting to get a royal gramma and 2 cleaner shrimp but are there any tangs or angel fish I can keep in a 54 gallon?
if not what are y’all a favorite fish?

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I just purchased a 54 gallon Red Sea reefer 250 and I’m curious what y’all would suggest for fish to stock it with?
I currently have in a separate tank that will be moved over to the new system:
2 Ocellaris clowns
2 Yellow watchman goby
1 springeri damsel

I’m already wanting to get a royal gramma and 2 cleaner shrimp but are there any tangs or angel fish I can keep in a 54 gallon?
if not what are y’all a favorite fish?
I wouldn't put any tangs in a tank that size and the only angel I would consider would be cherub angel. I would want 4' long minimum for any tangs or angels besides the cherub. I would add a cherub angel and a yellow coris wrasse. Mated pairs of Banggais are cool.

OP
OP
S

Snarbleglarf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put any tangs in a tank that size and the only angel I would consider would be cherub angel. I would want 4' long minimum for any tangs or angels besides the cherub. I would add a cherub angel and a yellow coris wrasse. Mated pairs of Banggais are cool.
Ok I assumed I wouldn’t be able to just thought I would ask in case There was one I wasn’t aware of, oh well I’m having trouble finding a fish that’s small enough but adds a lot of activity to the tank with nice color and personality that is also reef safe. I don’t really know a lot about saltwater fish so all I have to go on is what’s online

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I assumed I wouldn’t be able to just thought I would ask in case There was one I wasn’t aware of, oh well I’m having trouble finding a fish that’s small enough but adds a lot of activity to the tank with nice color and personality that is also reef safe. I don’t really know a lot about saltwater fish so all I have to go on is what’s online
I like yellow coris wrasse but check out the flasher wrasses too, or maybe an adorned wrasse they're pretty awesome.
This link has most of the commonly available fish and I added a filter for fish rated 55gal and under: https://www.liveaquaria.com/category/15/marine-fish?c=15&r=3166&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=24

OP
OP
S

Snarbleglarf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not keep any tang or angelfish in that size tank. A starkii damsel can make a good sub for a dwarf angel.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My starkii gets along fine with my springers. It should be better behaved than a dwarf angel in a cramped tank.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back