Stocking Suggestions for 65 gallon mixed reef

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 gallon (3ft x 18 deep by 24 high) that is a mixed reef with euphyllia, zoas, acans, and various other LPS and SPS. The tank is very mature and has had fish for 5 years and the last fish that was added was 2 months ago.

My current stocking is this

In tank:
2 snowflake clowns
1 Lawnmower blenny
1 tuxedo urchin
1 shunk cleaner shrimp
1 banded shrimp goby
1 purple firefish
1 splendid pintail fairy wrasse
Various snails
Various hermits

I would like to add 1 or 2 more fish since I have undetectable nitrates, phosphates in control with minimal GFO useage, no algae issues, and everything is peaceful with no territory issues. I want something blue and or green since those seem to be the missing colors and 100% reef safe options only. The list below are some potential options I have already thought of.

- exquisite fairy wrasse
- blue/green chromis
- blue reef chromis
- sapphire damsel (Chrysiptera cf. springeri not blue devil)
- Green Psychadelic Mandarin

Looking for comments regarding compatibility for the possible options I have already thought of as well as suggestions on good additions.

Last edited:

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chromis are always an easy option. i have a couple blue/green in my tank and they are 2 of the most peaceufl that i have in there. i have a bi color angel, which some may say, are not always reef safe, or list as "with caution" according to live aquaria but ive never seen mine nip at any coral. i have a bi color blenny which is almost a purplish color. obviously, there are the tangs, but then you will have the tang police on ya.

OP
OP
ZombieEngineer

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
obviously, there are the tangs, but then you will have the tang police on ya.
Don't really wanna try a tang in this one. I kept a yellow tang in a 75 gallon before upgrading to a 125 and it seemed a bit cramped and just a little bit aggressive in the 75. I don't expect things would fare better in 5 gallons less and 1ft less swimming space. I'll get tangs when I save up enough to upgrade houses and can fit a 180g+ tank.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins fit the color your looking for.

A 65 that's been established as long as yours shouldn't have an issue supporting one. Wild or captive.

OP
OP
ZombieEngineer

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was on the l
Mandarins fit the color your looking for.

A 65 that's been established as long as yours shouldn't have an issue supporting one. Wild or captive.
That was on the list, but forgot to write it down. Still on the fence about that one. My amphipod population is extraordinary but I'm not convinced my copepod and isopod population has fully recovered from my big crash (cracked magnet casing took me 2 years and $100 worth of repeat snail deaths to discover). Might seed with some benthic copepods and isopods directly to the tank when I pick up my next fish and make Mandy #2 to add.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rlly don’t recommend the pair of green chromis. They are sharks when they feed and will out complete the fish you have for food. They can fight to the death in pairs or in groups. The mandarin and the wrasse could be some great options. Have you thought of maybe a pair of yasha gobies?

OP
OP
ZombieEngineer

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rlly don’t recommend the pair of green chromis. They are sharks when they feed and will out complete the fish you have for food. They can fight to the death in pairs or in groups. The mandarin and the wrasse could be some great options. Have you thought of maybe a pair of yasha gobies?
I don't want a pair of chromis. I want to add 1-2 fish from that list or something else not on that list that is peaceful and the right colors.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naybe you could add a pair of yasha gobies or a longnose haw fish or neon dotty back(The dottyback is pretty aggressive a good alternative is the royal gramma).

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.0%
Back