Stocking Suggestions for 65 Gallon Reef Tank

marisp127

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I am trying to stock my 65 gallon and have an idea of what I would like but am unsure about my next additions. Looking for opinions and suggestions. This is my stock list (including my current potential option):

2 Ocellaris Clownfish (already added)
1 Diamond Goby (already added)
1 Lawnmower Blenny (already added)
1 Mimic Saddle Puffer (potentially)
1 Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse (pretty firm on adding this guy)

This is my list for the most part. I have thought about a Coral Beauty Angelfish but am concerned about its aggression and compatibility with corals as I plan to have a variety of SPS in the tank as well. I am torn on the mimic puffer (yes, I know it is a filefish) as a) it doesn't seem to be a commonly kept fish in the hobby and b) there are mixed reviews on its reef compatibility. I love tangs but don't think the size of my tank is suitable for them. Thoughts or suggestions on the list (or other potential additions) are very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I am trying to stock my 65 gallon and have an idea of what I would like but am unsure about my next additions. Looking for opinions and suggestions. This is my stock list (including my current potential option):

2 Ocellaris Clownfish (already added)
1 Diamond Goby (already added)
1 Lawnmower Blenny (already added)
1 Mimic Saddle Puffer (potentially)
1 Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse (pretty firm on adding this guy)

This is my list for the most part. I have thought about a Coral Beauty Angelfish but am concerned about its aggression and compatibility with corals as I plan to have a variety of SPS in the tank as well. I am torn on the mimic puffer (yes, I know it is a filefish) as a) it doesn't seem to be a commonly kept fish in the hobby and b) there are mixed reviews on its reef compatibility. I love tangs but don't think the size of my tank is suitable for them. Thoughts or suggestions on the list (or other potential additions) are very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Sounds great! Coral Beauty has way less aggression than tangs, but yes they can nip. If the individual you get does give your corals a problem, since they are dwarf angels you can easily rehome/sell as plan B *if* it doesn't work out.

Agree tangs need more space.

OP
OP
marisp127

marisp127

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great! Coral Beauty has way less aggression than tangs, but yes they can nip. If the individual you get does give your corals a problem, since they are dwarf angels you can easily rehome/sell as plan B *if* it doesn't work out.

Agree tangs need more space.
Thanks for the reply! Do you think I should add the wrasse and then the coral beauty?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! Do you think I should add the wrasse and then the coral beauty?
Are they already both at your LFS? Ideally could add both at same time. Individuals of both can be aggressive, so same time might be best but otherwise not sure it matters. If not both at same time, then always suggest acclimation box for meet & greet, plus have mirror handy to diffuse any situations getting out of hand. Once fish is loose in DT, trapping/catching is hard and time consuming, so better if test out with acclimation box in DT then release in DT

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral beauty would be an amazing option for your tank. Keep him well fed and you shouldn't have problems with nipping coral.

A goby shrimp pair would be interesting as well.

Throw in a yellow tang or tomini if you wish, little to no aggression and a beneficial citizen in the tank.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral beauty would be an amazing option for your tank. Keep him well fed and you shouldn't have problems with nipping coral.

Throw in a yellow tang or tomini if you wish, little to no aggression and a beneficial citizen in the tank.
let me introduce you to my Death Dealer Yellow Tang that will try to kill most anything you introduce... LOL ... its either laugh or cry, but mostly I've done a lot of crying over dead fish ... if you have a yellow, then your yellow is not like mine... yet, I love him/her and would not consider rehoming... though it is about to go to QT jail again for meanness

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let me introduce you to my Death Dealer Yellow Tang that will try to kill most anything you introduce... LOL ... its either laugh or cry, but mostly I've done a lot of crying over dead fish ... if you have a yellow, then your yellow is not like mine... yet, I love him/her and would not consider rehoming... though it is about to go to QT jail again for meanness
That is hilarious lol.... My yellow tang could not defend himself if his life depended on it. The most mellow, model citizen I ever placed in my reef... lol

OP
OP
marisp127

marisp127

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they already both at your LFS? Ideally could add both at same time. Individuals of both can be aggressive, so same time might be best but otherwise not sure it matters. If not both at same time, then always suggest acclimation box for meet & greet, plus have mirror handy to diffuse any situations getting out of hand. Once fish is loose in DT, trapping/catching is hard and time consuming, so better if test out with acclimation box in DT then release in DT
LFS does not have them on hand but I can order them to arrive at the same time. Good idea about the acclimation box, I’ve never thought of that before.

OP
OP
marisp127

marisp127

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you ever had issues with these fish being aggressive towards other tank inhabitants?

Back