Stocking suggestions for a 150 footprint FOWLR

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180g uniquarium AIO so the actual foot print is 18.5 wide x 72 long. I am at a loss. I was thinking of a more predator setup so I could do macro algae for export with one appropriate sized moray, df puffer, appropriate trigger, and etc. vs. skipping the macro and doing a stocking with a skopus, appropriate Tang or Angel, and fish that would eat macro. I figured the latter would do work on nuissance algae if supplemented with nori and aquatic plant matter. I guess my end goal is not ending up with more than 6-7 fish total. I plan on running a classic 90 hob skimmer on each side.

I welcome any combination of stocking ideas or listings that would look nice. I used to do big cichlid wet pets from my hiatus from reefing so that's why I gravitated to an interactive DF puffer, but I am open to suggestions. I am also open to getting a larger growing fish and rehoming later (I have many options where I am located), but also wouldn't mind fish that would be okay as a forever home.

Only inhabitant is a 2inch Tomato that was my cycling soldier, during my BB+seeded and/or cured LR+LS cycle. Levels never got too out of hand before cycle but I know it is frowned upon.

Stocking ideas?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a predator guy myself. so take my ideas with a huge grain of salt and DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH.

but what about a tank full of ells? totally not my thing and not sure you can even mix em. but could be cool??

another cray idea is a group of stone/frog fish with a dwarf lion or two.

OP
OP
YoubetyourWrasse

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on this list and compatibility

Picasso trigger added last or blue throat last resort
Xanthurus or Asfur Angel
Banana Wrasse
Scopas preferred or a suggested Tang other than yellow...Powder Brown?

And if possible a smaller eel like snowflake

If I decided to go with a DF puffer which stock or couple of stock would I substitute?

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of your potential fish should do just fine in that set up except maybe the asfur angel which will eventually outgrow that tank. Are you dead set on a DF puffer? I love my porc puffer and I highly recommend them for larger FOWLR setups!

OP
OP
YoubetyourWrasse

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of your potential fish should do just fine in that set up except maybe the asfur angel which will eventually outgrow that tank. Are you dead set on a DF puffer? I love my porc puffer and I highly recommend them for larger FOWLR setups!
What is it about the porc that you prefer?

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is it about the porc that you prefer?
They just have unique personalities really like dogs it can’t be overstated IMO. They also don’t have the beak issues of the arothron puffers as far as needing to be worn down. Like I said it’s more my bote than anything else DF would be fine too I’m just a big advocate for the porcs!

OP
OP
YoubetyourWrasse

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your thoughts of growing macro in DT and scratching the Tang/Angel for something else more predatory? suggestions?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back