Stocking suggestions for a decent sized reef tank.

ToastPuppy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, there is a reef tank at the location I'm working for that the people there would like to change the stocking of. The coral is all soft or anemones and the fish are currently a Black Sailfin Blenny, a Sailfin Tang, and a Sixline Wrasse. There's also a Creole Anthias that most likely won't be staying much longer cause it's too much of a bully. The tank is 100+ gallons, I'd reckon about 180 though it could be smaller. The location wants to have some clownfish and a blue tang, although I will probably try to talk them out of the latter. They also seem interested in a pistol shrimp-goby pair. What are some interesting stocking options that you would recommend (preferably ones that are comfortable or intriguing to children?)

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi, there is a reef tank at the location I'm working for that the people there would like to change the stocking of. The coral is all soft or anemones and the fish are currently a Black Sailfin Blenny, a Sailfin Tang, and a Sixline Wrasse. There's also a Creole Anthias that most likely won't be staying much longer cause it's too much of a bully. The tank is 100+ gallons, I'd reckon about 180 though it could be smaller. The location wants to have some clownfish and a blue tang, although I will probably try to talk them out of the latter. They also seem interested in a pistol shrimp-goby pair. What are some interesting stocking options that you would recommend (preferably ones that are comfortable or intriguing to children?)
The Black Sailfin has a diet consisting of SPS, just so they know.

The Pistol Shrimp/Goby will likely get lost in a tank that large but I had a Yasha Haza Goby with a Randall's Shrimp that were beautiful! Yellow Watchman is another good one that can be added that will pair with a shrimp.

Foxface is a good one to add as well - LO, Fiji, One Spot... Any Foxface really.

Halichoeres Melanurus is a beautiful and active wrasse as are the Halichoeres Leucoxanthus and Chrysus or Halichoeres Garnoti - all readily available.

Clowns are an easy addition but add them at the same time and make sure they're young or all males.

Green Chromis will school but can become jerks.

Springeri Damsels add a nice deep blue and they're great at pest defense.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back