Stocking suggestions?

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey I just picked up a 24x24x16 40 gallon cube any ideas/stocking suggestions? I have 1 clown and a royal gramma that i plan to re home into this new aquarium so what fish would work well with these 2?

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish that stay low or on surfaces for variety. Gobies and most blennies (minus the fang blennies which swim in open water). Even a mandarin if you want to pay for a captive bred one. 40 gallon is a bit tight if it's a new tank as far as their food source.

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish that stay low or on surfaces for variety. Gobies and most blennies (minus the fang blennies which swim in open water). Even a mandarin if you want to pay for a captive bred one. 40 gallon is a bit tight if it's a new tank as far as their food source.
Thanks how would any sort of juvenile tang do in here I want to ask before I could make a mistake

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks how would any sort of juvenile tang do in here I want to ask before I could make a mistake
I wouldn't. Lots of people get a small tang thinking they can get it out later and not have it a problem then they usually end up not removing it and it's bad. I wouldn't do it.

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't. Lots of people get a small tang thinking they can get it out later and not have it a problem then they usually end up not removing it and it's bad. I wouldn't do it.
Oh I see thanks for clarifying I wanted to see what others thought before. Guess they are extremely fast growing also, if you have ever kept a goby do your really need the copepods cause I love how mandarin goby look but I heard they need a constant supply of food any advice on that you could share?

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tang grew up fast. Problem with juvenile, you will get attached to it and then you have to re-home it. It does not feel good. I waited to have a big tank before I bought one. Better take some smaller fish.
In my 40 G I have 2 pajama cardinal, 2 firefish and 2 new scissortail gobies.
The firefish and scissortail have the reputation to hide all the time, however though my firefish did at the beginning, they no longer do so, and are constantly out. Also to my stupefaction, my brand new scissortail (2 weeks) did not even hide when I first released them in the tank. They have been swimming all over since, except at night. My guess is that all the fish being peaceful they do not feel threatened.
The advantage to put smaller fish is you can put more of them and have a larger variety of inhabitant.
In your tank I would add a wrasse, many of them are very colorful.

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tang grew up fast. Problem with juvenile, you will get attached to it and then you have to re-home it. It does not feel good. I waited to have a big tank before I bought one. Better take some smaller fish.
In my 40 G I have 2 pajama cardinal, 2 firefish and 2 new scissortail gobies.
The firefish and scissortail have the reputation to hide all the time, however though my firefish did at the beginning, they no longer do so, and are constantly out. Also to my stupefaction, my brand new scissortail (2 weeks) did not even hide when I first released them in the tank. They have been swimming all over since, except at night. My guess is that all the fish being peaceful they do not feel threatened.
The advantage to put smaller fish is you can put more of them and have a larger variety of inhabitant.
In your tank I would add a wrasse, many of them are very colorful.
Do scissor tails do ok with royal gramma? I’ve heard that fire fish and royal gramma is a no go, but have you heard or seen anything that would indicate they might not get along? (I’m asking because those scissor tails look so cute)

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never owned a royal gramma, so I cannot answer that question. But firefish do not do well in general with aggressive fish. Maybe if the firefish are first in the tank and get a good hiding place first?
scissortail should become bigger than firefish. I do not know if that will play a role with a gramma.
Yes I wanted scissortail for a long time, because I found them very cute, but I had a tough time finding one. I saw my LFS had them on their website the other day, and I just ran there. They looked good and I got 2.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back