Stocking!! Which Coral & Fish??

toor.attar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I currently have a 15 gallon IM marine that is done cycling and I need help stocking!
I am planning on adding a pair of Black Storm Clowns and doing a mixed reef. I am thinking of doing just soft corals and some Lps as this is my first time keeping coral (not saltwater fish).

What I am planning is doing a Zoa Garden on a single rock. Ricordia mushroom on the side of the rock tower. Leather coral or some Euphyllia coral on the top of the rock tower. And some Candy Coral on the side of that donut rock lol. I would love opinions and other options for coral. I’m looking for corals that are more hardy but are beautiful and glow under blue light! I’m also thinking of Gsp, Clove polyps, and Xenia, maybe even Acans. But I’m trying to keep coral that don’t require a lot of personal feeding and maintenance.

Fish wise I’m thinking of doing the pair of Clowns. In a couple of months I’m planning to add an Orchid Dottyback or a Biota Mandarin Goby, maybe even both. What are some other options for fish I could add, my stocking list isn’t official!

This is my aquascape and where I am planning on placing the corals. Please let me know your thoughts and opinions! Any other recommendations for coral or where I should place them? I’m looking for easy yet beautiful coral. Preferably I would not like too dose and just stick too the regular water change routine and maybe coral feeding once or twice a week.
IMG_5525.jpeg

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the 2 clowns, I wouldn't add more than one other fish, and definitely not a mandarin (unless you want to invest in continuous pod orders). As for your coral selections, I'd skip any euphyllia/fimbriaphyllia since the majority of the rest of your corals are softies... Plus, putting those in a new system and expecting them to be low maintenance is a stretch.

Nice aquascape! Just start slow with a few (truly) easy corals and see how they do.

Good luck!

OP
OP
toor.attar

toor.attar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the 2 clowns, I wouldn't add more than one other fish, and definitely not a mandarin (unless you want to invest in continuous pod orders). As for your coral selections, I'd skip any euphyllia/fimbriaphyllia since the majority of the rest of your corals are softies... Plus, putting those in a new system and expecting them to be low maintenance is a stretch.

Nice aquascape! Just start slow with a few (truly) easy corals and see how they do.

Good luck!

Yeah I would have to buy a lot of pods for the Mandarin. What are some truly easy soft corals that I can add in my tank? I’m not planning on any coral in there for at least 2 more months.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your getting ahead of yourself. Its a 15 gal tank.

The two clowns alone will be guarding every inch of that tank.

Also xenia in such a small tank is going to be problematic down the road. Put the ricordias in the sand

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on skipping the Mandarin. Thought the biota tank raised Mandarins are supposed to eat pellet. Still, safe skip just in case. Isolate Zoas, mushrooms, and GSP on rocks separated by an inch or two, as in a tank that small they can spread quickly and overtake other corals. Your clowns will definitely rule the roost in that tank. A small blenny or clown goby could also work.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would have to buy a lot of pods for the Mandarin. What are some truly easy soft corals that I can add in my tank? I’m not planning on any coral in there for at least 2 more months.
Most soft corals are pretty easy. LPS (acans, candy canes) will do best in a more mature tank so add them after you've had success with zoas, etc. Mushrooms are also good starter corals.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back