Stockman Standpipe vs Durso

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a bean animal setup, and I'm considering swapping out the durso that is supposed to be used for a stockman standpipe. The stockman has a smaller horizontal footprint, and I could use a coupling from Lowes to make either adjustable.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm I don't know if this has been tried, before, but I think they both function similarly. I believe if I recall correctly, in Bean Animal setups, the main drain handles most of the flow and the second drain, the one with the Durso, handles a trickle of flow. I think in this case either the Stockman or the Durso will do just fine :)

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm I don't know if this has been tried, before, but I think they both function similarly. I believe if I recall correctly, in Bean Animal setups, the main drain handles most of the flow and the second drain, the one with the Durso, handles a trickle of flow. I think in this case either the Stockman or the Durso will do just fine :)

Thanks!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
51D27D98-3716-465A-8CDD-C261D59967ED.jpeg

Herbie really doesn’t need to take up much space.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, got busy and lost trane of thought. My bad. LOL

LOL! No biggie. This has been a fun, and educational build thus far. A couple of months ago, I wouldn't have known what herbie, durso, stockman, or any of this was called.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! No biggie. This has been a fun, and educational build thus far. A couple of months ago, I wouldn't have known what herbie, durso, stockman, or any of this was called.

Grandkids bedtime. Gets hectic. :eek:

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine - on my setup I used a Maggie Muffler instead of the Durso because the space was tight, same idea.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had both my 300g and my 130g set up with a Stockman for the very same reason...space, or lack thereof, in the overflow. I was running a Bean drain. The Stockman works virtually identical in principle to how a Durso works. I didn't have any issues doing it this way.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had both my 300g and my 130g set up with a Stockman for the very same reason...space, or lack thereof, in the overflow. I was running a Bean drain. The Stockman works virtually identical in principle to how a Durso works. I didn't have any issues doing it this way.
Do you happen to have any pictures?

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 acrylic tank with an internal overflow. It’s 24” deep. There’s just a single 1” bulkhead for the drain to the sump. When I bought it many years ago, it just came with a nylon mesh (maybe 3/8” square holes) “tube” used as a standpipe that you could slide a foam over it as a prefilter. It can handle 1” pvc as a standpipe instead . Not enough space to drill another hole for a backup pipe. There’s also a 3 /4” bulkhead to allow a return hose up through the overflow.

I’ve also tried using 1” pvc for a standpipe so there is more water in the overflow so it wouldn’t be gushing through the weir and falling 24” down to the bulkhead. Makes a lot of noise and suction gurgling setup that way. There’s no gate valve or anything.

The tank is currently torn down but will be setting it back up.

What would be the best plumbing solution to this limited setup? Will a gate valve help? if I only use about 12” for a standpipe, do I need to worry about it not having an overflow pipe? I’m switching to a trigger 26 sump, it used to just have an old wet dry sump with marine pure balls and a eshopps filter sock holder in the first half and the skimmer and return pump in the other half.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 acrylic tank with an internal overflow. It’s 24” deep. There’s just a single 1” bulkhead for the drain to the sump. When I bought it many years ago, it just came with a nylon mesh (maybe 3/8” square holes) “tube” used as a standpipe that you could slide a foam over it as a prefilter. It can handle 1” pvc as a standpipe instead . Not enough space to drill another hole for a backup pipe. There’s also a 3 /4” bulkhead to allow a return hose up through the overflow.

I’ve also tried using 1” pvc for a standpipe so there is more water in the overflow so it wouldn’t be gushing through the weir and falling 24” down to the bulkhead. Makes a lot of noise and suction gurgling setup that way. There’s no gate valve or anything.

The tank is currently torn down but will be setting it back up.

What would be the best plumbing solution to this limited setup? Will a gate valve help? if I only use about 12” for a standpipe, do I need to worry about it not having an overflow pipe? I’m switching to a trigger 26 sump, it used to just have an old wet dry sump with marine pure balls and a eshopps filter sock holder in the first half and the skimmer and return pump in the other half.
A gate valve should only be used on a herbie drain. If you're using a durso, or stockman standpipe, you have to drill a big enough hole in the top, run some airline tubing to it, and add an airline valve to adjust it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back