Stomatella Snail Reproduction?

DeepBlueSomething

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 18, 2017
Messages
487
Reaction score
1,044
Location
Houston, Texas
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night, I noticed in my sump a handful at least of small (pencil eraser-ish or smaller) snails cruising through my skimmer section of the sump and my skimmer column itself. The appearance was most like a stomatella snail.

Can anyone confirm that this is likely or possible? Any concerns or need for further id? There was a shell present for sure. All other snails in the tank (at least that I have introduced) do not have a similar appearance.
 
My stomatellas reproduce quite well and I don’t try at all. When I get home late at night, say around midnight, I walk past my tank and see dozens of babies all over the glass and rocks. I can’t believe how all of them are able to hide during the day.
 
My stomatellas reproduce quite well and I don’t try at all. When I get home late at night, say around midnight, I walk past my tank and see dozens of babies all over the glass and rocks. I can’t believe how all of them are able to hide during the day.

Thanks -- my skim of the literature was that they are spawners and hit or miss on reproduction. I was quite happy to see them, but wanted to pose the question in case I should be concerned that it is something else entirely! Cheers...
 
Do stomatella snail need a mate or can they reproduce asexually?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new