Stoney coral disease?

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to order some nano rocks for my sump. To get some natural bacteria in my 200G. I keep hearing about the stoney coral disease hitting florida, and how people are losing their tanks. What’s the word on that? I want to place an order but now i am kinda regretting it.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to order some nano rocks for my sump. To get some natural bacteria in my 200G. I keep hearing about the stoney coral disease hitting florida, and how people are losing their tanks. What’s the word on that? I want to place an order but now i am kinda regretting it.
Florida's reef are bleaching from the heat.
Is this what you mean?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In truth, nobody knows if the bacteria seen from dying corals caused the death or is just there for a free meal. If the bacteria caused death, there would be no reefs in the world. I have lost stony coral before, but not all of them and I have a lot of ocean live rock so there is not some sort of epidemic bacteria that kills everything.

IMO, corals die and people are looking for something to blame. Real stuff from the ocean is the best way to get diverse things into your tank, IMO. I would put them in the tank since there might be some things that will thrive under the lights and spread.

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Florida's reef are bleaching from the heat.
Is this what you mean?

No that https://cdhc.noaa.gov/coral-disease/characterized-diseases/stony-coral-tissue-loss-disease-sctld/

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The area impacted on their map does not include the Tampa Bay Area. You may want to touch base with Tampa Bay Saltwater to confirm. I’m in the middle of an order with them now and they seem quite helpful.

IMG_0779.jpeg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.4%
Back