Stop with the names!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we please stop naming every single coral? Or asking for names of every single piece that's purchased? All it does is increase costs. On top of that it seems like some of the biggest named pieces out there are also the most widely available. Sorry... needed to rant.

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we please stop naming every single coral? Or asking for names of every single piece that's purchased? All it does is increase costs. On top of that it seems like some of the biggest named pieces out there are also the most widely available. Sorry... needed to rant.
More importantly… can ppl please research what they’re about to buy before purchase!!
”I bough this weird thing at my LFS, what is it, is it safe….? What’s this shrimp… oh wait, its killing everything in my tank, and not doing what I thought it would..”

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, and I'm sick of the doctored photos. Was just looking at one store with $300 single polyp blastos, photos rediculously doctored. And who's buying all of these corals being sold for $500 to $1000? With the exception of Austin Aqua Farms and a few others, I feel like I'm walking into a used car dealer lot to be scammed every time I look at corals online. I don't put on orange glasses to look at my tank.

And I just saw one of "those" post: I just bought such and such. Dumped it in my tank. Is it good or bad :rolleyes:

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, and I'm sick of the doctored photos. Was just looking at one store with $300 single polyp blastos, photos rediculously doctored. And who's buying all of these corals being sold for $500 to $1000? With the exception of Austin Aqua Farms and a few others, I feel like I'm walking into a used car dealer lot to be scammed every time I look at corals online. I don't put on orange glasses to look at my tank.

And I just saw one of "those" post: I just bought such and such. Dumped it in my tank. Is it good or bad :rolleyes:
Agreed. I feel it should be edited only to the extent that when you look at the coral and the picture, they look the same. Photos just need correction. They don’t need to look like clickbait thumbnails on YouTube

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest that gets me are torches. The ones that are the most expensive are also the most common
Same! Zoas bother me like crazy too. I just bought some Gatorade’s yesterday that were sold to me as “Charming Charlie’s”. Edited only for the use of replicating what it looks like in person like always B58670F4-1B63-4627-A0CA-3F392FF1FED5.jpeg

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not against people making money however they can (within reason of course) however this movement towards named corals and quite honestly ridiculous prices is going to make this hobby impossible for all but the incredibly wealthy. I spent £80 on a piece of JF Homewrecker as it was the only vendor in the UK to have it and it was less than a centimeter chunk. It’s doing well but it was too expensive and won’t do it again. I do hope things settle a bit moving forward but we have to vote and make changes with our wallets.

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+2 ^^^ Hu?

Agree, the name game has gotten to be pretty comical. Seems like the legalization of cannabis has increased the number of "reefing" addicts that are attracted to shiny things and fancy labels. You have to be seriously stoned to pay some of these outrageous prices for a single polyp or a qtr inch frag...

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can people stop mining!! I would like to be able to find a video card and not have to sell a kidney to afford it.
+1
Every time people say crypto is not real or crypto is the future all I can picture is Elon Musk slaming his head on his desk because even he can't afford computer chips at these prices.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not against people making money however they can (within reason of course) however this movement towards named corals and quite honestly ridiculous prices is going to make this hobby impossible for all but the incredibly wealthy. I spent £80 on a piece of JF Homewrecker as it was the only vendor in the UK to have it and it was less than a centimeter chunk. It’s doing well but it was too expensive and won’t do it again. I do hope things settle a bit moving forward but we have to vote and make changes with our wallets.
Right and some don’t even have the ‘flare’ of lesser $ corals. I don’t mind members asking for verification but agree the “name brand” corals are a little much to comprehend at 2/3x the price. I understand a lot of $ goes into to setup up and to be able to run a successful grow house (corals you reefers! Lol) but when you make dollars on pennies it’s hard to understand....I’m a addict . The first Step!

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can people stop mining!! I would like to be able to find a video card and not have to sell a kidney to afford it.

+1
Every time people say crypto is not real or crypto is the future all I can picture is Elon Musk slaming his head on his desk because even he can't afford computer chips at these prices.
Ahhh, I get it now.... Duh. Lol

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

And now they have one that uses hard drives to mine. So i guess they will triple in price soon.

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have some “Cream Puff” zoas available for 10k they come with a free pair of reef glasses and a sticker. 10k per polyp btw

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.7%
Back