store a slightly used RO membrane

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I m looking to update me RODI set up. I have an older ro unit with a newer triple di saver kit. I want to upgrade the RO portion of my system. If I replace the RO membrane and find the upgrade to be insufficient I would replace the whole RO portion of my system. Can I store that slightly used RO membrane and use it in a few years?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

I cannot give a scientific answer, but I would not take a chance. I would not know of a way to store it. If you store it dry after use there may be an issue with the membrane later. If you store it wet you have 2 year old water sitting in it. Just easier to pitch and get a new one in my opinion.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's said that you should store the slightly used one in wet/damp conditions but I've used a brand new membrane for a week then switched back to the old one and reused it after being stored dried for 6 months. Works fine, same tds rejection.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't. Membranes need to be stored damp, and mold and bacterial growth could become an issue. Plus, new membranes are $35 on BRS. Not nothing, but not $100 either.

I'd also advise soliciting feedback on your planned RO upgrade. You really can't do much better in quality and performance than a single good 75GPD membrane. Whatever upgrade you're planning may not even be a good idea, in which case you wouldn't have to worry about this anyway.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back