Storing RO/DI ?

ScubaSteve4Life

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 26, 2017
Messages
61
Reaction score
22
What state or country do you live in
Nebraska
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking of storing my rodi water in a Rubbermaid 32 or so gallon bin. I'd only need about 3-5 gallons of water each week. About how long could I store this before it goes bad? Or would I need something more like a powerhead inside the bin or to seal it?
 
I'm wondering this myself...wanting to build miximg station
 
I use the Rubbermaid trashcan with lid and power head. After about a month or when empty I'll bleach it. Because I noticed after a few months the can would develop a smell. Bleaching prevents that from happening. Just make sure that you use unscented bleach and rinse real good. Once you don't smell bleach you can refill.
 
Stirring rodi water causes it to attract more particulates. Make it, seal it off, and store it. As long as the rodi container is sealed off it'll keep. Just test the tds of it periodically and it'll tell you if it's attracting anything.
 
If you only need a few gallons a week, then I'd do a 10gal barel. I have a 32gal barel that I use to store water, but I do 30gal weekly water changes. Due to high nitrates in our tap water, we use the rodi water for drinking and cooking. By day 6 the water tastes a little funky. If you're only using a few gallons a week, I can only imagine what your stored water will smell like after a couple of weeks.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new