Storing RO/DI ?

ScubaSteve4Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking of storing my rodi water in a Rubbermaid 32 or so gallon bin. I'd only need about 3-5 gallons of water each week. About how long could I store this before it goes bad? Or would I need something more like a powerhead inside the bin or to seal it?

chris124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Rubbermaid trashcan with lid and power head. After about a month or when empty I'll bleach it. Because I noticed after a few months the can would develop a smell. Bleaching prevents that from happening. Just make sure that you use unscented bleach and rinse real good. Once you don't smell bleach you can refill.

nemo1017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stirring rodi water causes it to attract more particulates. Make it, seal it off, and store it. As long as the rodi container is sealed off it'll keep. Just test the tds of it periodically and it'll tell you if it's attracting anything.

oldpaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you only need a few gallons a week, then I'd do a 10gal barel. I have a 32gal barel that I use to store water, but I do 30gal weekly water changes. Due to high nitrates in our tap water, we use the rodi water for drinking and cooking. By day 6 the water tastes a little funky. If you're only using a few gallons a week, I can only imagine what your stored water will smell like after a couple of weeks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back