Storing RODI in garage. Possible Contamination?

JCas06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I live in Florida and I have my RODI unit in my garage along with the storage container a 50 gallon brute garbage can.

we do not park cars in the garage but the lawnmower, generator, and gas cans are in there and today I noticed a heavy gasoline smell and saw my Emergency generator had sprung a leak.

Well this happens to be next to my storage container full of RODI water. The lid is NOT air tight. I dumped all the water out of caution but would gas fumes have polluted this water? I do keep a small powerhead in the container to keep the water moving. Do I also need to wash my containers out now?

I also read somewhere you shouldn’t circulate your RODI while in storage because it will add back tds through the air. This post said keep a tight lid and no water movement. Is that true?
What are best practices for storage of RODI long term?

Thank you,
Jason

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no reason to ever stir RO/DI.

It may absorb so fumes from the air in your garage. Is that a problem? Not sure, probably not, unless you smell things like insecticides. Definitely do not aerate it.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I live in Florida and I have my RODI unit in my garage along with the storage container a 50 gallon brute garbage can.

we do not park cars in the garage but the lawnmower, generator, and gas cans are in there and today I noticed a heavy gasoline smell and saw my Emergency generator had sprung a leak.

Well this happens to be next to my storage container full of RODI water. The lid is NOT air tight. I dumped all the water out of caution but would gas fumes have polluted this water? I do keep a small powerhead in the container to keep the water moving. Do I also need to wash my containers out now?

I also read somewhere you shouldn’t circulate your RODI while in storage because it will add back tds through the air. This post said keep a tight lid and no water movement. Is that true?
What are best practices for storage of RODI long term?

Thank you,
Jason
Seems like the solution that will let you sleep at night is an air tight drum with fittings and valves that will allow the input and output of water without introducing outside air. You will spend a little more money than a Brute garbage can though.

I wonder if there is a clever way to put your water reservoir in a big plastic bag with a twist tie to seal it between uses?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back