storm clownfish ! is it just me or are they the most boring, non moving, no personality and overrated clownfish of all time.

Guppyguppy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my pair (mocha storm) for about 6months now from my lfs who gets their stock from sustainable aqutics. They have grown from tiny babies to a good size in a short time but these are the least interesting and the most boring fish i ever had. They just stay near the front corner of the tank all day and do nothing, no interactions with other fish not curious about anything no interactions with each other don't want anything to do with the anemone or the corals or the rocks or anything else. They both just stare at the other side of the tank all day, they don't even move around the tank. I have a 113 gallong tank with 3anthias and 4chromis no one is picking on them they are not sick, is this normal? for these so called storm fish? At this point i would rather have a normal pair of active clownfish that are active and act like clownfish. My friend has a pair of orange skunk in a bta super active , extreme personality and behavior and is really fun to watch. Anyone with the same experience with these fish or is it just my luck?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got a video?

"Storm" is the name of their coloration, not their personality. Clownfish variants /should/ all have about the same behavior, as they aren't being selected for anything behavioral, but I suppose it's possible that some variants have accidentally been line-bred in a way that emphasized a personality tendency.

Though, more likely it's an individual variation in personality. Some clownfish pairs do just hang out in one spot.

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my pair (mocha storm) for about 6months now from my lfs who gets their stock from sustainable aqutics. They have grown from tiny babies to a good size in a short time but these are the least interesting and the most boring fish i ever had. They just stay near the front corner of the tank all day and do nothing, no interactions with other fish not curious about anything no interactions with each other don't want anything to do with the anemone or the corals or the rocks or anything else. They both just stare at the other side of the tank all day, they don't even move around the tank. I have a 113 gallong tank with 3anthias and 4chromis no one is picking on them they are not sick, is this normal? for these so called storm fish? At this point i would rather have a normal pair of active clownfish that are active and act like clownfish. My friend has a pair of orange skunk in a bta super active , extreme personality and behavior and is really fun to watch. Anyone with the same experience with these fish or is it just my luck?
That's wierd. Mine has bags of personality. I don't know if that's normal.

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish have different personalities, it has nothing to do with their color/morph/name. And a lot of captive bred fish have no idea what an anemone is even for - they don't get to watch National Geographic.

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My storms have a ton of personality and move all around the tank.

OP
OP
G

Guppyguppy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a video?

"Storm" is the name of their coloration, not their personality. Clownfish variants /should/ all have about the same behavior, as they aren't being selected for anything behavioral, but I suppose it's possible that some variants have accidentally been line-bred in a way that emphasized a personality tendency.

Though, more likely it's an individual variation in personality. Some clownfish pairs do just hang out in one spot.
thats exactly what i want to know , is it just a individual variation in personality or is it because they have been bred a certain way to get the coloration. The most of the videos of the storm clownfish i have seen, they all seem lackluster in personality.

OP
OP
G

Guppyguppy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish have different personalities, it has nothing to do with their color/morph/name. And a lot of captive bred fish have no idea what an anemone is even for - they don't get to watch National Geographic.
the anemone i understand but no personality and not even moving about the tank all day is just really bothering me at this point

Joe's Coral Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Sometimes it takes awhile. The partner to my gsm took forever to even show any personality. He would just hide all day.

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is the variant I have as well (possibly black storm?)- couldn't recall the retail name excatly, but they look like 'cow' prints on them, I let my kids talk me into these clowns ($130/each!) - and like you- I am disappointed. My experience with these 2 is the same - they hover - all day - in one back corner and do absolutely no exploring. I have said in just the last 2 weeks ' I wish i had just got normal clowns'. In the past I had clowns that I so enjoyed watching and these - ugh! Boring. BTW - they have been in my tank since tiny babies and are now at least 9 months in my tank - likely 10-11 - can't recall exact purchase date.

SNAKEMANVET

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is the variant I have as well (possibly black storm?)- couldn't recall the retail name excatly, but they look like 'cow' prints on them, I let my kids talk me into these clowns ($130/each!) - and like you- I am disappointed. My experience with these 2 is the same - they hover - all day - in one back corner and do absolutely no exploring. I have said in just the last 2 weeks ' I wish i had just got normal clowns'. In the past I had clowns that I so enjoyed watching and these - ugh! Boring. BTW - they have been in my tank since tiny babies and are now at least 9 months in my tank - likely 10-11 - can't recall exact purchase date.
My black storms act like normal clownfish.I have mine in a 28 gallon with Chicago sunburst.They we’re in the anemone within a couple of days.Maybe being a large tank they just haven’t got brave enough to explore the tank.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you mean they are clownfish, old thread though. Clowns tend to stay in one area of the tank and usually in a host anemone or coral. It's what they do, I have had my female percula for around 8 years so I guess I feel more connected with her. Always been an easy going fish, just laying eggs and never bit my hand ever.
My storm clownfish is her mate and is usually left with egg tending duties while she stands watch and I really mean just watches. The second any fish, even my small damsels, swim by she darts into one of the anemones.

They will choose to go in an anemone or not overtime, most usually do.

Orion1885

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are pretty active, sometimes clowns can take a while to settle
DCFD3CD7-1395-4E77-903E-945706C95AA0.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back