Storm Season among us. Power outage readiness!!!

Discussion in 'Tank Emergency' started by HBK's Lagoon, Jun 6, 2018.

1. HBK's Lagoon

HBK's Lagoon Active Member

Good afternoon everyone, I wanted to make this thread to give myself and others who live in Florida and other outlying states who are affected by hurricanes and other storms which can leave us without power for days to weeks at a time. I am still newish to the hobby and I haven't had my tank up and running long so I haven't experienced a power outage lasting longer than a few minutes while the tank has been up and running. Anyone who has a good plan of action that will work on the smallest to largest sizes of tanks. I myself have a 25gal lagoon. I already have a bubble box and extra batteries, and frozen bottles of water to help oxygen levels and water temp. Any other tips or tricks to help your aquarium survive is greatly appreciated. Also I understand a generator is the best option probably, but I live in an apartment and don't have storage space for one. Thank you to all who post and happy reefing everyone, stay safe during this storm season.

2. Don Capalchey

Don Capalchey Member

Back-up generator always best option.

Since you have a nano, a good alternative would be a window for light and a battery powered air-stone.

Jeepguy242 and HBK's Lagoon like this.
  3. Reeferdood

Reeferdood Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Got gas and generator and tons of beer....
    I would say I am set!

4. HBK's Lagoon

Haha I can’t afford a generator usually is a few days to week until I can borrow one. But I’m with you plenty of beer and my tank is in a room that has direct sunlight through one window but not close enough for direct. It will be an interesting hurricane season.

5. Reeferdood

Reeferdood Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Let's hope they all stay offshore and just bring us some epic surf this year!:)

6. Flippers4pups

Flippers4pups Fins up since 1993 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Small tank, a power inverter would be a good choice. Run it off a car battery. Even better would be to be able to run it off a car battery in a car, so you can recharge it by running the car. Inverters aren't that expensive, depending on the size needed.

7. Captain Quint

Captain Quint Plank Owner of the Orca R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Great thread.

8. HBK's Lagoon

Thank you for all the reply’s and ideals. Hoping all the storms stay off shore and bring good surf. But unfortunately for me where I live if a car changes lanes in front of the transformer at the wrong time the power goes out. Once again thank you to all who commented, keep it up so we all have a good source to refer to in a time of an outage. Happy reefing everyone.

9. DLHDesign

DLHDesign Ex-Noob R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Not apartment friendly, but - Powerwall. I've got one in the current house and am putting two in the new house that's being built. I've set it to hold onto 20% of its charge for emergency situations. So long as I'm around to turn off the hot tub and A/C, that would last us through the night until the solar picks up. (The new house will have a smart A/C I'll be able to turn off remotely and I'll be upgrading the hot tub to have wi-fi.)

The advantage of this over a generator is that this can help save you money even when there's no outage (rate shifting, solar charging, etc.).

10. HBK's Lagoon

Definitely making note of this once I’m in a house for sure. Thanks for sharing.

11. wilecyote007

wilecyote007 Member

Dude this is genius. My power is out and I have at least one powerhead going now. Ran an extension from my sub to tank. Guess I will set a 30 min alarm to crank on the SUV. Seriously though great quick fix in a tight spot.

Whisperss and Flippers4pups like this.
  12. 60CubeReefer

60CubeReefer Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Doesn't take up that much space.

20180516_200651.jpg

13. Flippers4pups

Flippers4pups Fins up since 1993 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Glad it's working out for you!

14. brandon429

brandon429 why did you put a reef in that R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Do not have a filthy cloudy sandbed in an outage prone reef. When circulation stops it becomes your highest bioload and o2 consumer source in the reef, direct competition with all other respiring animals. If the outage lasts long enough and the organic loading is high enough to support a massive bacterial load far beyond the essential needs of the tank, bac colonies in oxygen-sapped zones of the bed can die (starved of o2) then after consuming all the oxygen in solution the typical reef bed shifts into a dead aerobes ammonia pump, all bad settings at the expense of keeping the sandbed 89% of reefs keep (cloudy, if you reached in and grabbed a handful of sand and released)

Have no sand, or sand that passes a drop test if you want the strongest biological reinforcement in an outage prone reef

Excess detritus is #1 option to avoid when circulation stops if higher order animals are to be supported in priority

The biological oxygen demand afforded by the sludge in a sandbed is always taxing, it's just incidental demand to a functioning system of decent turnover. A cleaner reef will always live longer during stillness than an aged, compacted one. They go int cardio arrest ten times faster

15. KMench

KMench Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

I have an inverter and an extension cord. Worst case, I can run the inverter to my tank or borrow one of the small Honda generators pictured above from a friend ;)

Flippers4pups likes this.
  16. Zeal

Zeal Valuable Member R2R Supporter

Not many suggestions for people that live in Condos/Apartments...

Genomecop likes this.
  17. IslandLifeReef

IslandLifeReef Valuable Member Hospitality Award

Last year after Irma, we were without power for 3 days. I just used a battery powered air pump with a stone, opened the windows to help keep it cool, and stirred the tank every 3-4 hours. I didn't have a single loss.:)

18. Reef man 89

Reef man 89 Valuable Member

My advice is to have somthing on stand by. This past winter we lost power for 4 days and my tank got down to 40 degrees and I lost all but a couple zoas. I learned my lesson and some battery packs.

19. Reef man 89

Reef man 89 Valuable Member

I live in a condo and battery pack work good enough to run just what you need ( heater and a pump)

20. KMench

KMench Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

You could just use a battery and an inverter. Worst case get a deep cycle battery that has more amps.

Draft saved Draft deleted