Strange algae

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a hang on the back refugium. In it is cheato for macro. Recently I have been seeing this green algae growing inside the fuge, and lately growing on the lip of the return, and along the edge of my tank. It's bright green, it grows in like a circular pattern? It hangs on very tight to what its growing on, so it's hard to pull off. I took some off of my return pump and was able to get a picture. It's just a small piece, but I think you can get the picture. Is it a type of nuisance algae, or a type of macro that snuck in with my cheato? It's just odd that it started growing out of the blue, and only in my fuge.

20220124_223732.jpg 20220124_223729.jpg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like ulva aka sealettuce. Its a good macroalgae. Dont get rid of them and they like to grow where flow is.
Other things to note about Ulva:
- Widely distributed in coastal regions, both adrift and attached to rocks
- Grows incredibly quickly (comparable to/sometimes faster than Chaetomorpha)
- Great algae for nutrient export, and is thus becoming quite popular in the aquarium trade
- Delicate, and is easily torn (the algae can thrive without a holdfast)
- Pods and other beneficial micro-invertebrates love to live in its folds
- Relished by herbivorous fish and invertebrates and is quite nutritious (humans can eat this algae too)
- Two main growth forms, Mat-like (Sea lettuce) or stringy (Gutweed, once in the genus, Enteromorpha)
- Like Chaetomorpha, it is ideal to provide trace elements, such as iron

Sea lettuce (Ulva):
1643089906465.png

Gutweed (Ulva):
1643089957213.png

OP
OP
B

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other things to note about Ulva:
- Widely distributed in coastal regions, both adrift and attached to rocks
- Grows incredibly quickly (comparable to/sometimes faster than Chaetomorpha)
- Great algae for nutrient export, and is thus becoming quite popular in the aquarium trade
- Delicate, and is easily torn (the algae can thrive without a holdfast)
- Pods and other beneficial micro-invertebrates love to live in its folds
- Relished by herbivorous fish and invertebrates and is quite nutritious (humans can eat this algae too)
- Two main growth forms, Mat-like (Sea lettuce) or stringy (Gutweed, once in the genus, Enteromorpha)
- Like Chaetomorpha, it is ideal to provide trace elements, such as iron

Sea lettuce (Ulva):
1643089906465.png

Gutweed (Ulva):
1643089957213.png
I had done some research and thought sea lettuce too. I just wasn't for sure. I feel better knowing that others think that's what it is too.
One question tho. . . How did i get it into my tank? Did I just bring spores into my tank or how did does it make its way into the tank?

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had done some research and thought sea lettuce too. I just wasn't for sure. I feel better knowing that others think that's what it is too.
One question tho. . . How did i get it into my tank? Did I just bring spores into my tank or how did does it make its way into the tank?
prob hitchhiked on something

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ulva can release spores in addition to hitchhiking into tanks attached to live rock/frags (occasionally) or as free-floating fragments.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back