Strange Clownfish Behavior after Feeding

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi, all

Long story short, I started a tank 8 months ago and suffered a nearly complete crash due to an unknown killer. Only survivor was a single clown. We initially suspected flukes and treated the DT w prazi, but ended up thinking protozoan later. The symptoms developed over time and we never made a positive ID, so the killer is still unknown.

I did an 87 day fallow period and quarantined a new blenny, new goby, and the loan survivor clown. At the beginning of the QT everyone was treated with CP between 2.2 and 2.5 ppm for about 32 days. I observed the 3 fish for the remainder of the fallow period and didn't notice anything suspicious. After moving into the DT, I'm having second thoughts.

Full disclosure: I live in an apartment so perfect conditions aren't possible for preventing cross contamination between QT and DT. The tanks are about 20 feet apart and I do use a lid on the QT. I do use some gear on both tanks, but I use bleach and dry the equipment out for a few days before using it on the other tank. With that said, I can't rule out potential cross contamination with 100% confidence.

On March 17, I moved the 3 fish into the DT. I'm noticing some behavior in the clown that I'm suspicious of. Particularly after feeding, he seems irritated. After 2-3 hours or so, symptoms seem to subside. When he's "affected", he seems to favor pointing his head down a bit. He also gets a little jumpy/twitchy like something is irritating him. Breathing increases quite a bit. Haven't witnessed any flashing, but I have caught him "yawning" at least a handful of times. The yawning doesn't seem to be exclusive to times directly after feeding. His poop is also white but definitely isn't stringy. It's more of a crumbly consistency? I'm not sure how long his poop has been white, but it's probably been as long as I can remember. He's definitely still feeding, though perhaps less vigorously than normal?

On March 29, I dosed Prazi (could explain the decrease in feeding?). Currently been running carbon for around 20 hours and I'm getting ready to do my 2nd dose in the morning (unless we decide otherwise here).

I really appreciate you guys taking the time.

78F
34.5 PPT
Ammonia badge says 0

Tank has inverts and fish only. No coral.

On Hand:
  • Copper Power
  • Rally Pro
  • Methylene Blue
  • PraziPro
  • MetroPlex
  • KanaPlex
  • General Cure
OneDrive video
Jumpy, twitchy, shaking head are symptoms of flukes.
For flukes , Prazi will do the treatment as will Ruby Rally
You can for temporary relief and verification a 5 minute freshwater dip in a CLEAN pail or bucket- preferably a dark one. Fill with tap water the same temperature as display tank.
After 5 minutes place fish in quarantine or display tank and look on the bottom of container used for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales. Use a flashlight if needed. If you can see those- theyre flukes

The poop could be internal issue or could be a result of what youre feeding such as Mysis and brine shrimp

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 185 72.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back