Strange LPS getting disconnected from roots - Bristle Worm

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Fellow LPS owners - I wanted to share my recent experience and see if anyone has had similar observation. My circumstantial evidence only points to Bristle worm at some part of lifecycle being responsible.

My tank had a huge algae outbreak - primarily due to lack of maintenance (fully my fault). Most of my corals have died and tank crashed. However I had a interesting observation on LPS - Bubble, Torch and a hammer coral. The symptoms i observed was the soft tissue connecting them to the main skeleton were the only ones that got "eaten" - And it happened quickly. My Bubble is now in 3 pieces out of which 2 are attached to rock and doing well while rest of the 2 didn't make it.

After dipping almost half dead corals into the dips each one had 3-4 bristle worms in it. I am not sure if this is due to some bacteria - soft tissue narcosis or anything else but with the speed it happened my fear is it had something to do with Bristle worms.

Looking forward to others experience and any suggestions ?

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Fellow LPS owners - I wanted to share my recent experience and see if anyone has had similar observation. My circumstantial evidence only points to Bristle worm at some part of lifecycle being responsible.

My tank had a huge algae outbreak - primarily due to lack of maintenance (fully my fault). Most of my corals have died and tank crashed. However I had a interesting observation on LPS - Bubble, Torch and a hammer coral. The symptoms i observed was the soft tissue connecting them to the main skeleton were the only ones that got "eaten" - And it happened quickly. My Bubble is now in 3 pieces out of which 2 are attached to rock and doing well while rest of the 2 didn't make it.

After dipping almost half dead corals into the dips each one had 3-4 bristle worms in it. I am not sure if this is due to some bacteria - soft tissue narcosis or anything else but with the speed it happened my fear is it had something to do with Bristle worms.

Looking forward to others experience and any suggestions ?
Bristleworms eat dead flesh. That’s why you found them in the dead/dying coral. Bristleworms don’t kill coral. Sounds like poor water quality given all of your other coral dying and lack of husbandry for an extended period of time.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have so many bristleworms in my tank that I believe they are causing my corals to be unable to reestablish themselves after a tank crash. The bristleworms invade the skeleton of the coral... it's crazy how many I have.

I suctioned them out at night twice now using a red light because they arent bothered by it. I also just dipped a bunch of corals and found tons of bristleworms under their skeletons.

I believe if you get enough bristleworms and then reduce feeding they will attack your corals because they are starving.

I also have a bristleworm trap but I have the best success so far by suctioning them out at night.

Oh and my corals have more than 3 or 4 bristleworms its more like tens of them. Of all sizes.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back