Strange spot by regal angel eyes

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See attached image and video. Had this regal for about 18 days. Made it through qt (ttm)and went into display tank.

Noticed his eye has a white/yellow coloration but cant figure what it is, or if thats just the color of his eye parts.

IMG_6902.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6901.mov
    23.3 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
125mph Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
See attached image and video. Had this regal for about 18 days. Made it through qt (ttm)and went into display tank.

Noticed his eye has a white/yellow coloration but cant figure what it is, or if thats just the color of his eye parts.

IMG_6902.jpeg
TTM not always a cure and should be 30 days- Not 18. I see what looks like a small nick which should heal on its own. Overall fish looks good and best you can do for this fish is to provide Good water quality and diet
Also dont see anything with eye but Do keep an eye on it

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just the right eye? If so, it’s probably just a minor abrasion.

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just the right eye? If so, it’s probably just a minor abrasion.

Yes, its just the right eye. It just looks white/yellow and I cant tell what it is. Its not a spot, just some discoloration or its his natural color.. lol.

Will keep monitoring.

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM not always a cure and should be 30 days- Not 18. I see what looks like a small nick which should heal on its own. Overall fish looks good and best you can do for this fish is to provide Good water quality and diet
Also dont see anything with eye but Do keep an eye on it

So you think the eye thing is a knick?

The fish seemed healthy after 18 days and doing TTM.. I thought anything like velvet or brook will show up by then or they can lay dormmate and not show?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So you think the eye thing is a knick?

The fish seemed healthy after 18 days and doing TTM.. I thought anything like velvet or brook will show up by then or they can lay dormmate and not show?
These fish rarely if ever get brook and velvet bu now would be pronounced. Scratch injury likely with eye.
If it worsens, treatment in separate tank will be Maracyn, Not maracyn oxy

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that white spot looks like its protruding out. It looks like a piece of cotton ball sticking out. Anyone know what that could be? Still an abrasion?

Heres latest video. Still eating well. The very end of video you can see the protrusion.

Attachments

• IMG_6924.mov
    46.6 MB
Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that white spot looks like its protruding out. It looks like a piece of cotton ball sticking out. Anyone know what that could be? Still an abrasion?

Heres latest video. Still eating well. The very end of video you can see the protrusion.

Yes, it's an abrasion, it may have a secondary bacterial infection going on. However, I see some fin damage that wasn't present in the first video. Some other fish is fighting with it, and you need to figure out who and separate them, or the damage could keep getting worse. Its possible that the original eye injury was caused by the angel getting chased by another fish and running into something.

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I will keep an eye out. So the abrasion should heal its own I hope? I prefer not to take him out and do extra treatments. The abrasion doesnt look red, just white.

The only other fish in the tank are two clowns and a smaller potters angel. The potters was and regal were kinda swimming close to each other the as I introduced the regal to the display tank, but now they seem to be okay. Looks like they claimed their sleeping spots and I don't see much chasing around.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I will keep an eye out. So the abrasion should heal its own I hope? I prefer not to take him out and do extra treatments. The abrasion doesnt look red, just white.

The only other fish in the tank are two clowns and a smaller potters angel. The potters was and regal were kinda swimming close to each other the as I introduced the regal to the display tank, but now they seem to be okay. Looks like they claimed their sleeping spots and I don't see much chasing around.

You might want to set up a phone to video the tank when you are not in the room, then review the video - I can't account for that fin damage except as being from aggression from another fish.

How long have you had the potter's angel? Hawaii has been closed to collection for some time now.

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the potter's angel? Hawaii has been closed to collection for some time now.

The potters I've had for about 7 years. This came from my old tank. I didn't know they closed of Hawaii but I guess thats why I haven't seen any potters angel on live aquaria email list for a while.

The potters is a smaller fish, about 1/2 to 3/4" smaller so I assume the regal would be okay. Will keep monitoring.

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly, the protrusion is gone.. Looks like may have been like a scab that fell off. His eye looks almost normal now.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back