Strange spot on Ocillaris

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed a dark area on the back of one of the white stripes on my clown a couple of days ago. Hasn’t seemed to have gotten any worse but I have also noticed he is not moving his left fin either. I have had some of my other fish getting spots on them after what looks to be from spines of my long spined sea urchin that resolve without any problems.
38A1B4ED-98AC-4BD5-903B-8B97793989B7.jpeg
Still eating well and not showing any signs of distress. Other fish are unaffected.
FF164724-C572-4DD0-86D8-E98C7E81143E.jpeg

110 gallon mixed reef tank~9 years old.
filtration-sump and refugium with skimmer and chaeto. (No UV)

no other fish loss
pH- 7.9-8
Alk-7.5
Phos-.21
Nitrate-68
Temp-77.8 image.jpg

Last edited:

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the way it looks, it appears as if it is spreading on the fin. Appears to be bacterial with the whiteish hue it has.

Actually looks like an abrasion of sorts that became infected.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic
Looks like it got injured and the injury possibly got infected.

Just some general questions:
Any new additions? How old is the tank? Params (exact numbers)? Any other fish affected? Any change in behavior not yet listed? Did the spots on other fish look similar?

OP
OP
Jackcarp

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic
Looks like it got injured and the injury possibly got infected.

Just some general questions:
Any new additions? How old is the tank? Params (exact numbers)? Any other fish affected? Any change in behavior not yet listed? Did the spots on other fish look similar?
I think my fish sometimes get stuck by my urchin so maybe it got injured somehow. I have added some fish that were purchased from Dr Reef and have been quarantined. I updated my post with my parameters. No swings in my numbers. When my hippo tang gets spines in her,it looks like a white blush area, not dark like the clown.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish could figure out what this is! I see it fairly often here….almost always just in the white coloration of clowns.
Some of these fish die, and others get better, even with no treatment. I can’t even tell if the ones that die are dying from this or something else.

All I can tell is that this is some sort of sub-dermal change in coloration, that is only seen through light colored areas of the fish. A bruise perhaps?

Jay

OP
OP
Jackcarp

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish could figure out what this is! I see it fairly often here….almost always just in the white coloration of clowns.
Some of these fish die, and others get better, even with no treatment. I can’t even tell if the ones that die are dying from this or something else.

All I can tell is that this is some sort of sub-dermal change in coloration, that is only seen through light colored areas of the fish. A bruise perhaps?

Jay
Well he’s about 10-12years old at this point. I just don’t want something to spread to the other fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he’s about 10-12years old at this point. I just don’t want something to spread to the other fish.
From the cases I’ve seen, it doesn’t seem to be contagious.
Jay

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back