Strawberry Shortcake, All red

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Strawberry Shortcake frag from a local LFS. At the shop it was in a shallow flat lit with a halide. It was a small frag with a light green base and red tips.

When I brought it home I put it low on the frag rack for a week, then I moved it fairly high, dead center. It has shown good growth but all of the green is gone now. It is has turned entirely deep red.

Nitrates: undetectable
PO4: .03ppm (10 ppb Hanna ULR)
Alk: 8dkh
Ca: 450ppm

Lighting: 2x250w MH Radiums driven at 300w, 4xT5 Blue+

Is it getting too much light? Should I leave it be and see where it goes?

Thanks

OP
OP
J

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told it was SSC. I had a red planet in my last tank and this frag definitely doesn't look like that structurally.

OP
OP
J

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But based on the new BRS video... I think it may be getting too much par. They are using the exact same light setup except they were running their radiums at a lower wattage. Based on their findings it is probably getting over 600 PAR

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greens like that are from low par. Same thing with like a red planet will get green at low light

OP
OP
J

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I suspected that was the problem. I'll probably need to drop further. I doubt that there's anywhere in my tank under 300 PAR. It's probably in the 450ish zone now.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine right on top with LUX app registering 90k LUX (PAR ??) at water surface. SSC is 5" below water surface.

WP_20170617_20_25_42_Pro_e.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but I have no idea what intensity that is. I do know that based on the latest video from BRS.. where they were running my exact lighting, except at 100 watts less, I was probably given that thing over 700 PAR where it was.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 700 PAR I think that is far too high. Maybe you can put a shade on and wait for a week or two instead of relocating the frag. Everytime you change location, it will take some time to readjust itself.

OP
OP
J

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I didn't realize that until I saw the BRS video released Friday measuring the light with my exact lighting setup they were showing 650 PAR in 6 inches of water under the halides. They were running their Radiums at 250w and I'm running mine at 300w. That's why I moved it down. I had a few reef raft frags I got recently at about mid tank on the glass on a frag rack. They are brown... So I put them up there ;)

Keep in mind I'm probably only 17" from surface to sand in my tank... There's really no hiding from the PAR.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the best to you buddy. I have experienced SPS browning under too intense light as well. I am running more higher spectrum, that could be the reason of browning instead of bleaching.

chris3del

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes nature just wants to do what it wants to do no matter how much you scratch your head and throw at it

OP
OP
J

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm certainly having a better go of things with my halides then I ever did with LED. I've got almost 30 frags of SPS in my new build now and most are looking really good. I just put the birdsnests and montis low in the corners.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back