Stray voltage

Mick51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working in tank and I got zapped.. started testing with a volt meter and first thing I find is the 2 wave maker pumps (hydor) when they cycle the left one I’m showing 25-26 volts is that enough voltage to shock me ? It wasn’t a little tingle. Thanks

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not the volts that you worry about check the amps.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25-26 volts is that enough voltage to shock me ? It wasn’t a little tingle. Thanks

Yes, that's enough. Find which pump it is by unplugging the pump and re checking voltage, then trash the bad pump. It's one of the downsides of using cheaper pumps that have AC current in the tank. They all eventually go bad.

I always feed obligated to recommend GFCI receptacles for submerged pumps and heaters.

OP
OP
Mick51

Mick51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's enough. Find which pump it is by unplugging the pump and re checking voltage, then trash the bad pump. It's one of the downsides of using cheaper pumps that have AC current in the tank. They all eventually go bad.

I always feed obligated to recommend GFCI receptacles for submerged pumps and heaters.
Ok so I’m tossing both, question now what to replace with? Was looking at Vortech but it’s a bit pricey and I think it’s still AC but the electric is outside any suggestions it’s a 90 gal mostly SPS.. thanks

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’m tossing both, question now what to replace with? Was looking at Vortech but it’s a bit pricey and I think it’s still AC but the electric is outside any suggestions it’s a 90 gal mostly SPS.. thanks

You only have to toss both if both are bad.

Vortech have no electricity in the tank. The motor is on the outside and is DC. But, they are really expensive...up to you there.
Tunze is another really nice, but expensive option.
Jabeo pp8 or similar would be a cheap option.

Most, if not all, controllable pumps will be lower voltage DC.

Another option is the gyre type pumps. I have an icecap gyre 3k in my 125. Either a 1k or 3k would be a great option for a 90. They produce a big sheet of water across the tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back