stressed out/weak fish

zheka757

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 10'' naso tang in quarantine under coppersafe treatment. this Friday will be 30 days in copper. 75 gallon tank. came home today and the tank lost power. fish was breathing fast and gasping for air on surface of the water. i panicked and did 40g water change, fish is very week and breathing fast. does copper have some effect on water with no movement? is fish hurt from it, internally?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i have 10'' naso tang in quarantine under coppersafe treatment. this Friday will be 30 days in copper. 75 gallon tank. came home today and the tank lost power. fish was breathing fast and gasping for air on surface of the water. i panicked and did 40g water change, fish is very week and breathing fast. does copper have some effect on water with no movement? is fish hurt from it, internally?
Copper has bonders and I doubt if broken up but likely a lack of Oxygen. An air stone proves valuable in this instance along with water change which you did
How are you monitoring copper level and what level are you at?
Good news is that the naso was gasping at the top which suggests low oxygen opposed to laying on the bottom curled up and gasping which is not good

OP
OP
zheka757

zheka757

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper has bonders and I doubt if broken up but likely a lack of Oxygen. An air stone proves valuable in this instance along with water change which you did
How are you monitoring copper level and what level are you at?
Good news is that the naso was gasping at the top which suggests low oxygen opposed to laying on the bottom curled up and gasping which is not good
thank you for reply, 3 days ago it was 2.32 using Hanna checker. yesterday i did 20gallon water change, and i added 25m of coppersafe per instruction.
i had air stone in that tank, HOB filter, as well as crossflow pump. but all that was using single outlet and power shut off for that.
that water change was done with water from display tank. and i didn't use copper, as i tough at that minute that copper was bad to not oxygenated water. but the fish was terrible weak as i put my hand by him and he didn't move away.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
thank you for reply, 3 days ago it was 2.32 using Hanna checker. yesterday i did 20gallon water change, and i added 25m of coppersafe per instruction.
i had air stone in that tank, HOB filter, as well as crossflow pump. but all that was using single outlet and power shut off for that.
that water change was done with water from display tank. and i didn't use copper, as i tough at that minute that copper was bad to not oxygenated water. but the fish was terrible weak as i put my hand by him and he didn't move away.

3 days ago copper was 2.32. Did you test the new water for copper level and adjust to test kit or counted drops? With the drops, its easy to overdose reason test kit is recommended.
Add liquid bacteria such as microbacter 7 to the display tank that lost power to restore some denitrifying bacteria.

OP
OP
zheka757

zheka757

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my bottle it's says 25ml for 20g of water. That what I being using and I was always in 2.3 range for the past month. Like I mentioned before today is day 28 on copper treatment.
Fish is a bit calm, but still breathing fast.

OP
OP
zheka757

zheka757

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was day 29 in copper treatment, and in hopes of saving the fish I put naso in display tank. The fish was more weaker then yesturday, here is a short video of it

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 112 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back