Struggling getting phosphates down

Colemansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 62 gallon total system with a 40 breeder as my main tank no sand bare bottom decent amount of coral in there, and I’ve been working on getting my nitrates and phosphates down. Didn’t have any coral in there the few that I had died, and I had let the nitrates and phosphates get up to around 2.5 on the phosphates and over 100 on the nitrates. I originally was trying to use chemical media to lower those parameters and the stuff that I bought for nitrates just didn’t work so I got the phosphates down to about .02 and added a couple corals. I came here for advice. And people suggested just doing water changes to get it down even though it’s been a struggle because I am only doing 5 gallons at a time. I’ve changed over 65 gallons of water in the past 2 to 3 weeks and nitrates are down to 10. My phosphates have been down as low as 02. But for some reason, the phosphate just continue to come back like right now they’re back up to .08 if I test at night and .11 if I test in the morning. I’m concerned if I continue to do water changes that I will completely bottom out my nitrates, but I’m also concerned that if I let my phosphates go back up that I will have algae issues and lose coral. Everything is thriving right now the tank looks good. I have a small amount of hair algae still but it’s a manageable amount. I use a skimmer I have a big bottle of nopox and vodka available to use if need be and still have some phosphate absorbent media. Also have the ability to continue water changes if need be. I just remembered this as I’m typing it but someone suggested testing fresh seawater that I’m making for phosphates my RODI unit is putting out water that’s tests 0 TDS. I use accurasea one salt so maybe that salt mix has some phosphates? but just ordered the bionic seawater system and am switching to that for the higher alkalinity and quality overall.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could read this thread.

OP
OP
Colemansreef

Colemansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could read this thread.

Was this comment in reference to them talking about him feeding the pellet food or them talking about the rocks leeching phosphates until it reaches an equilibrium? I do not feed anything but frozen and only 1/2 times a week due to nutrient concerns. But I do see that the rocks leaching could be my issue. I just was given a big ol rock from someone else’s tank recently and I’ve got the tank and a bunch of equipment some coral, some rock it all came together and one of the rocks had three anemones on it and I just took that whole rock, rinsed it off with some salt, water, and kind of shook it out and some salt water to get all the because it was full of particles and put it in my tank because the nems were attached to it with the tank came like a big old bottle of no pox and a couple other chemicals to lower phosphate so I guess he had phosphate issues too but I just I don’t know how I feel about using all the different chemicals. I don’t want to risk hurting anything if it’s not necessary.

OP
OP
Colemansreef

Colemansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh seawater using accurasea1 with 0TDS RODI is .033 sorry for those that saw the last comment I got my tests mixed up.

Last edited:

Fishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I might be alone in this thinking, but higher phosphates haven't ever really bothered anything in my tank. And I keep mine at .5 ppm with acros and lps. I don't try to do that, but I have like 30 fish that make it hard to get them down from feeding that much. The main coral killer is alk/pH swings imo way more important to keep those in check. Algae grows more but tangs and snails handle that.

OP
OP
Colemansreef

Colemansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I might be alone in this thinking, but higher phosphates haven't ever really bothered anything in my tank. And I keep mine at .5 ppm with acros and lps. I don't try to do that, but I have like 30 fish that make it hard to get them down from feeding that much. The main coral killer is alk/pH swings imo way more important to keep those in check. Algae grows more but tangs and snails handle that.
I have been reading this a lot that a lot of people keep those levels very high and have no issues so that makes me wonder even more. I will say I have added a ton to my cleanup crew lately and plan on adding more. It was very small for the size tank that it is, I wonder if the hair algae covering the tank before could’ve been what killed the corals not sure.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back