Struggling with gluing frags to rocks.

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I need to attach a frag I always struggle. Super glue always seems to make a mess and rarely seems to create a great bond. 2 part putty is somewhat better but not much.

I usually clip the bottom of the plug if the coral won’t come off easy. Put a big glob of SG and hold it down for 30 sec. If ir doesn’t move a back away.

help

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make a ball of putty. Put a bit of SG between the putty and frag and a bit of SG between the putty and rock.

Works like a charm.
Exactly this ^^.

super glue, putty, super glue sandwich. Works every time.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after having had mixed to poor success in the early year or so of just putty or CA glue, here is what I have adopted and am sticking with it (pun intended)

have found that the IC-Gel (BSI) and the Tunze epoxy is the easiest to work with and if used right, cost effective

get the plug nice and dry, mix the epoxy, add a swirl to the plug then fix the epoxy to the plug, give it 30 seconds, then a generous amount of CA to the epoxy, then place the combo, pushing firmly with a little twisting to get it settled. This is working 90% of the time. Think the brands make a difference

lately, particularly if I know I will not be moving the frag, I first remove the frag from the plug, glue firmly to a small select piece of reef rock, then place and epoxy that rock fragment into the scape - gotten to dislike strongly that plug shape blended into the rock

looking forward to trying this new mussel based cement that is coming out (sometime)

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I also do the superglue sandwich method which works 100% of the time.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after having had mixed to poor success in the early year or so of just putty or CA glue, here is what I have adopted and am sticking with it (pun intended)

have found that the IC-Gel (BSI) and the Tunze epoxy is the easiest to work with and if used right, cost effective

get the plug nice and dry, mix the epoxy, add a swirl to the plug then fix the epoxy to the plug, give it 30 seconds, then a generous amount of CA to the epoxy, then place the combo, pushing firmly with a little twisting to get it settled. This is working 90% of the time. Think the brands make a difference

lately, particularly if I know I will not be moving the frag, I first remove the frag from the plug, glue firmly to a small select piece of reef rock, then place and epoxy that rock fragment into the scape - gotten to dislike strongly that plug shape blended into the rock

looking forward to trying this new mussel based cement that is coming out (sometime)
Super glue gel from the dollar store, or walmart(loctite brand), and JB water weld are the exact same thing, and loads cheaper then any coral specific glue and epoxy.

OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with the plugs all over rocks

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My go to was super glue to putty to superglue. However, I've now adopted @Thales way to glue corals to rocks.

It's very messy but creates a strong bond.

What you do is rub down the area on the rock with your finger to clean off any loose debris and slime coat. glob some superglue gell onto your finger and rub it into the rock. Getting the glue intonthe pores of the rock. That creates a clean bondable surface.

Then take your frag, either cut it off the plug, or cut off bottom of the plug. Squeeze out some superglue gel on the bottom of the frag and dunk the glue in the saltwater which will create a thin membrane around the gel. Then squeeze out another glob of superglue onto that. You're basically creating a double layer of thick superglue.

Now place your frag onto the rock, rubbing the bottom around the area to smear superglue from the frag. Slightly pull the frag away from the rock to visually check that the superglue has bonded to the surface and then push it back onto the rock one last time and position it correctly because at that point it won't take long for the superglue to set.

I find that that bond is stronger and better than the ball of putty.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super glue gel from the dollar store, or walmart(loctite brand), and JB water weld are the exact same thing, and loads cheaper then any coral specific glue and epoxy.

I use a lot of glue and buying those small tubes would cost me quite a bit more than going with the coral specific glue in a larger tube.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My go to was super glue to putty to superglue. However, I've now adopted @Thales way to glue corals to rocks.

It's very messy but creates a strong bond.

What you do is rub down the area on the rock with your finger to clean off any loose debris and slime coat. glob some superglue gell onto your finger and rub it into the rock. Getting the glue intonthe pores of the rock. That creates a clean bondable surface.

Then take your frag, either cut it off the plug, or cut off bottom of the plug. Squeeze out some superglue gel on the bottom of the frag and dunk the glue in the saltwater which will create a thin membrane around the gel. Then squeeze out another glob of superglue onto that. You're basically creating a double layer of thick superglue.

Now place your frag onto the rock, rubbing the bottom around the area to smear superglue from the frag. Slightly pull the frag away from the rock to visually check that the superglue has bonded to the surface and then push it back onto the rock one last time and position it correctly because at that point it won't take long for the superglue to set.

I find that that bond is stronger and better than the ball of putty.
Ehhhh, so this seems like it would mostly work....but how do you keep your hands clean? Even gloves would get glue all over them.

I personally have good success with the glue epoxy glue sandwich. You really only have 30s to get everything in position, but it's strong.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a lot of glue and buying those small tubes would cost me quite a bit more than going with the coral specific glue in a larger tube.
Actually......

The BSI glue is $10 for 2oz(not considering S&H). Loctite super glue is $4 for 1.4 oz. So 2 loctite are $8 for 2.8 ounces. Not much difference, but I can buy it locally.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find this also in the electrical department. It's the same as all the others.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually......

The BSI glue is $10 for 2oz(not considering S&H). Loctite super glue is $4 for 1.4 oz. So 2 loctite are $8 for 2.8 ounces. Not much difference, but I can buy it locally.

Lol show me where you can buy 1.4oz of Loctite gel for $4? At least at my Walmart it is .14 oz for $4. I can't even find a 1.4oz option for Loctite when looking online.

So I just buy the cheaper coral glue. The BSI is also much thicker than Loctite which is also good for my use.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol show me where you can buy 1.4oz of Loctite gel for $4? At least at my Walmart it is .14 oz for $4. I can't even find a 1.4oz option for Loctite when looking online.

So I just buy the cheaper coral glue. The BSI is also much thicker than Loctite which is also good for my use.
Your actually right! It is .14 oz. I misread it, and do not have any handy at the moment.

I stand corrected!

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehhhh, so this seems like it would mostly work....but how do you keep your hands clean? Even gloves would get glue all over them.
There is an article in an older copy of Reef Hobbyist Magazine. "The art of frag gluing".
Either use gloves or get it on your hands. No big deal either way.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I personally have good success with the glue epoxy glue sandwich. You really only have 30s to get everything in position, but it's strong.
Oh it's definitely messy. If you have the affinity to keep your delicate hands pristine this method isn't for you.

Joking aside, the superglue on your fingers peel right off after it sets.

Doing this for 16 years allowed me to experiment with many different methods, and for the longest time the superglue/putty was a best kept secret. But straigh superglue allows you to ditch the cost of putty and have a stronger bond.

But in the end it doesn't matter after 2-3 weeks once the coral encrust onto the rock anyway. So I guess it comes down to cost savings vs keeping your hands delicate?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back