Struggling with LPS in my mixed reef - help me understand PAR vs Photoperiod please!

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt the photoperiod is an issue. Low PAR is certainly a possibility though. I have Hammers and a Frogspawn under 300+ Par and a Torch in a 250+ range. Max Par period is 6 hours. They took a whille to adjust to those levels.

I don't think your inorganic N & P levels are an issue. I struggle with N. Nitrate usually about 2 ppm (Salifert). Phosphate stays at .05 to .1 ppm. The LPS don't seem to mind.

I noticed that in my mixed reef, the LPS didn't like the same amount of flow as the SPS corals. I created areas of higher and lower flow rates and experimented with placing corals in them. Invariably, the LPS did better in the lower flow zones.

You could be limiting available organic carbon (FOOD) in an effort to keep nutrients low. More fish and more food (more fish poop!) might be an answer to your problem... or maybe some hydrocarbon rich additive (like Reef Energy AB+) might do the trick You could even try target feeding the LPS corals.

OP
OP
M

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I'll definitely come back here and update after I run for a month or so at these lower light settings and see how it goes.

The biggest driver for this theory is how fluffy and happy everything is in the first 3-4 hours of the morning, and how happy these shriveling LPS were when I ran shorter photoperiods at slightly lower PAR.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna say it’s your nutrients… my lps sit in 250-400 par and love it! I run my lights for 12 hours a day! My sand bed is close to 200 and I have nothing on it cause of my diamond goby lol..
IMG_1499.jpeg

Dutch_Mill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I'll definitely come back here and update after I run for a month or so at these lower light settings and see how it goes.

The biggest driver for this theory is how fluffy and happy everything is in the first 3-4 hours of the morning, and how happy these shriveling LPS were when I ran shorter photoperiods at slightly lower PAR.
Try to test your nutrients at start of light ramp up, and then once more every 2-3 hours to see what this does.

Just to rule out nutrients hitting 0 after a couple of hours photoperiod.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mixed reef myself and my lps are all over in par . I’d say feed them more. I use frozen mix for my fish and my larger polyped corals like my torches, frogspawn, hammers, micromussa and Duncan’s love it. My Gonis and sps like my Montis get a mix of powdered food in a little water that I baste on top of them a couple times a week. Here’s my par for the the tank
1698475186664.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back