Stubborn algae (pics included)

Renn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently fighting algae that is giving me problems.

Current tank is just short of 1 year old.
Custom 265 display running fuge with cheato, skimmer, zeovit. No fish recently added. I acclimate and dip coral with Bayer. Unless they are significantly encrusted, I remount in new plug.

Pertinent water parameters:
Ph: 8.1 — 8.3
Nitrate: 4 (I dose)
Phosphate: .05 (I dose)
DKH: 8 (Ca Reactor, Kalk at night)
Ca: 400-420
Sal: 1.026

The algae acts like cyano. It is dark, not red or green. It is worse during lighting periods and recedes during dark. It seems to get caught in/on coral. I can blow it off and it will reappear within the hour. I have usees KZ cyanoclean on a regular basis. Since this appeared I have tried 12 days dosing 1:10 H2O2 with no apparent effect. I am not about 36 hours into a dose of chemiclean and it seems that it has had little effect so far. Looking for ideas!

Without further ado:

2424447297fe1712d96e5659781dfca5.jpg

e36331631d38f0575e53de56e809cf71.jpg

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try algaefix, it works great. But don't rely on it long term as it's a crutch and nutrient export is the key. Algaefix will kill a lot of algaes, but also good macro algae. Basically after it's use you'll just have the hardest to kill algaes, and then you're sol. But if you're in a bind it can be a rescue. But it doesn't look too bad, is it hurting the corals? How's the clean up crew and flow?

OP
OP
Renn

Renn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CUC may be a little depleted but I don’t think enough to give me the outbreak. I may try to bolster it before I bomb the tank with more harsh stuff.

I didn’t think flow was a problem either. I run 4 Neptune WAV units about 80-90% on random (it’s a 60”X36” tank wide tank)

It hasn’t killed anything yet but it is concerning because it seems to congregate on my coral more specifically than the rock or sand. Definitely the coral doesn’t like it being there though.

Thanks for the reply! I’ll check out the Algaefix if it continues to get worse over the next few days. I’ll have to do the water changes and put carbon back to clear the chemiclean. We’ll see how that does too.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CUC may be a little depleted but I don’t think enough to give me the outbreak. I may try to bolster it before I bomb the tank with more harsh stuff.

I didn’t think flow was a problem either. I run 4 Neptune WAV units about 80-90% on random (it’s a 60”X36” tank wide tank)

It hasn’t killed anything yet but it is concerning because it seems to congregate on my coral more specifically than the rock or sand. Definitely the coral doesn’t like it being there though.

Thanks for the reply! I’ll check out the Algaefix if it continues to get worse over the next few days. I’ll have to do the water changes and put carbon back to clear the chemiclean. We’ll see how that does too.
Yeah, if you've been doing h2o2 algaefix is way gentler. I think all tanks go through phases, and if you've killed the cyano you may be getting a different algae which is blooming. That happened to me after chemiclean, so it's normal and will subside. Mine took about a week to settle after the chemiclean, and I threw a uv on it, so I don't know if that helped drastically, but it hasn't come back in force.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Other.

Back