Stumped! Soft coral? ID - Jan 22, 2020 Maldives Reef photo

dankaqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P1220200.JPG

Was shocked to see a very different type of soft coral in 2 feet of water on the fore-reef (Rasdhoo Island, Maldives) the other day.

This area is very shallow with high temps and a fair amount of turbidity (suspended sand particles if the waves are slamming).

The coral is very stiff (wave action barely budged it) and it has iridescent green "stalks" (not visible).

This is the only coral of this kind that I have seen in the Maldives, and it's in an area which is predominantly sand and coral rubble (very few corals growing in the area - some very hardy Porites is evident nearby, but in slightly deeper (3 feet) of water.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

good luck

OP
OP
dankaqua

dankaqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly a pipe organ of some sort?
I've seen Tubipora musica (pipe organ coral) in the wild before. The polyps are quite small, and the stony base of the coral is quite evident.

The above mystery coral did not have any visible skeleton (the base was more like a leather coral).

OP
OP
dankaqua

dankaqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a google image search for "Vargas Cespitularia" and although it does seem to have some of the qualities of the above mystery coral, reading Jake Adam's description :

"this large bodied Xeniid has long fleshy stalks topped by large feathery polyps"

...the "long fleshy stalks" seems to apply, but the "large feathery polyps" does not.

OP
OP
dankaqua

dankaqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P1220204.JPG

Posting the only other pic I have of this coral (still assuming it is a coral).

Below is a closeup of the green stalk from the center-left part of the image

closeup_mystery_coral.jpg

The iridescent nature of that stalk doesn't come out in the photo, but it was evident in person.

I'm going to try to relocate that coral and take some more pics.... (wish me luck!)

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting as there are no visible polyps which makes it not seem much like a soft coral. It almost reminds me of an elegance but the branching tentacles doesn’t match what an elegance looks like. Following but seems will be a tough ID.

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked up "branching anemone" lol, and I found this:
1611840089475.png

Actinodendron glomeratum, which is found in the indo-pacific. It looks similar to a degree except it needs higher density of tentacles.
1611840286922.png

Then I found a pretty exact match of a photo, but there was no ID listed. It came up when I searched for "Hell's fire Anemone," the common name of Actinodendron glomeratum.
1611840411813.png

Then I found another image that was from an article called "Snorkeling in the Maldives":
In this article it is also listed as a Hell's fire anemone.
1611840684399.png

There is also a link to a video of a Hell's fire anemone eating a fish:

SO, I think I found it?

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think I found the specific species: Actinodendron arboreum.
I think that it's an exact match. If you look up that species, you will find pictures that match yours. That is an extremely cool-looking anemone though. I would love to see this in person!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked up "branching anemone" lol, and I found this:
1611840089475.png

Actinodendron glomeratum, which is found in the indo-pacific. It looks similar to a degree except it needs higher density of tentacles.
1611840286922.png

Then I found a pretty exact match of a photo, but there was no ID listed. It came up when I searched for "Hell's fire Anemone," the common name of Actinodendron glomeratum.
1611840411813.png

Then I found another image that was from an article called "Snorkeling in the Maldives":
In this article it is also listed as a Hell's fire anemone.
1611840684399.png

There is also a link to a video of a Hell's fire anemone eating a fish:

SO, I think I found it?
Looks quite close. Would be nice to see a pic of the mouth from the OP if he can get back to it. If we can see a mouth, it’d be easy to call it.

Back