Stupid questions

saltwaterlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!! I’m putting up this forum for us beginners to ask stupid or basic questions without being judged and to get the answers of silly questions we have.
Mine is:

When cycling your tank when you first set it up do you have to have the power heads on the whole cycle even without any fish or anything alive in there (obvs)? Ik the water can get stagnant if not careful that’s why I’m asking this question [emoji24][emoji23]

dferran1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run all of the equipment, except for the lights.

When I cycled my tank many years ago, I added live rock and live sand, and then dosed ammonium chloride. You need some type of nitrogen source to facilitate the cycle.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!! I’m putting up this forum for us beginners to ask stupid or basic questions without being judged and to get the answers of silly questions we have.
Mine is:

When cycling your tank when you first set it up do you have to have the power heads on the whole cycle even without any fish or anything alive in there (obvs)? Ik the water can get stagnant if not careful that’s why I’m asking this question [emoji24][emoji23]
Good question. Nitrifying bacteria process inorganic nutrients (ammonia - nitrite - nitrate) but these nutrients have to be delivered to the bacteria on the rocks & water movement is how this is done.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the above answers tell you what you wanted to know.

And after your tank is cycled, be aware that it will take time (2 to 6 months) to go through some algae (diatoms and even hairy algae) and/or bacteria blooms. Fish and clean up crew will be OK, but it's best to wait to add corals as they don't move and they won't be happy. Take your time and please, ask all the questions you need answered. This is about the most difficult time in both your education as a reef keeper and your tank's health.

OP
OP
saltwaterlover

saltwaterlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the above answers tell you what you wanted to know.

And after your tank is cycled, be aware that it will take time (2 to 6 months) to go through some algae (diatoms and even hairy algae) and/or bacteria blooms. Fish and clean up crew will be OK, but it's best to wait to add corals as they don't move and they won't be happy. Take your time and please, ask all the questions you need answered. This is about the most difficult time in both your education as a reef keeper and your tank's health.

How long should I cycle my tank for? I’m not sure what the process of cycling it really is so I need to do more research up on that but after the cycle how long should I wait to add fish (and yeah I’m gonna wait for the algae for the corals)

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a librarian in the real world ;Bookworm and I wish I had a nickel for every person who reluctantly walked up to the reference desk and said to me "I have a really stupid question". The truth is, there are no stupid questions -- asking or looking it up is the only way to find the answer. I'm relatively new to the hobby as well and I like that you posted that we can ask questions without being judged. It can be overwhelming here sometimes. ;Nailbiting But no worries... This place is made up of predominantly kind people who enjoy helping. ;Happy

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only stupid questions are when the same questions are asked multiple times..
as above, water movement is always good for everything, the only change comes in how much water movement is the perfect amount.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only stupid questions are when the same questions are asked multiple times..
as above, water movement is always good for everything, the only change comes in how much water movement is the perfect amount.

I think what you meant to say was "the same question being asked multiple times - by the same person". :)

It's perfectly ok to ask a question that has been asked 100's of times in a place like this. That's what R2R is for. If we didn't have people asking/posting new stuff, we would all be reading the same old posts forever. Plus, sometimes things do change with time. The fishless cycle is a perfect example, when I started out (way before internet BTW), it was the normal practice to cycle a tank with damsels. I prefer to read current examples of answers to questions for this reason.

I for one have no problem answering questions that could probably be looked up, and countless others on R2R feel the same way. Love this place!;)

TMB

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what you meant to say was "the same question being asked multiple times - by the same person". :)

It's perfectly ok to ask a question that has been asked 100's of times in a place like this. That's what R2R is for. If we didn't have people asking/posting new stuff, we would all be reading the same old posts forever. Plus, sometimes things do change with time. The fishless cycle is a perfect example, when I started out (way before internet BTW), it was the normal practice to cycle a tank with damsels. I prefer to read current examples of answers to questions for this reason.

I for one have no problem answering questions that could probably be looked up, and countless others on R2R feel the same way. Love this place!;)

TMB
agreed, definitely talking the same person, but moreover really trying to say there is no stupid or dumb question as we all have to learn and this hobby is alot of learning and change.. matter of fact i always check the "new to reefing" posts first to see if i can help anyone, and i could not agree more that R2R is awesome !! I could not have built my system and successfully to boot without this forum

OP
OP
saltwaterlover

saltwaterlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s pretty rude [emoji23]

I’ve done loads of research on it and couldn’t find what I exactly wanted to know so it’s not s multiple asked question because I wanted someone to answer it s certain way which I got, so..

OP
OP
saltwaterlover

saltwaterlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TMB

Yes exactly! I’ve done research on the question I asked and i didn’t find any answers that I wanted so that’s why I came here

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty rude [emoji23]

I’ve done loads of research on it and couldn’t find what I exactly wanted to know so it’s not s multiple asked question because I wanted someone to answer it s certain way which I got, so..
really, read the response......
the comment was really just trying to say that there are no stupid questions, lets move on

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should I cycle my tank for? I’m not sure what the process of cycling it really is so I need to do more research up on that but after the cycle how long should I wait to add fish (and yeah I’m gonna wait for the algae for the corals)

First, your question. The 'cycle' is complete when the ammonia and nitrite have all gone to zero in your testing of the water and it's all become nitrate. Now there could be small blips of new ammonia and nitrite as new fish are added or the rockscape gets moved, ect. That's not worth worrying about. For some people the cycle happens quickly (as in 1 to 2 weeks) and for others in can take as long as a month or two. It's a matter of what has gone into the tank at the start.

Second, you can add fish as soon as the ammonia has gone to zero, but it would be a little better if you wait until the nitrite goes to zero. Then do a water change to lower the nitrates and add your first fish or some clean up crew (some snails and maybe a hermit crab). There is almost no question you'll get a diatom bloom. It's OK to just let it get ugly and then clean it off the glass every day or two (or longer). Eventually it will only need to be cleaned once a week (roughly).

Finally, we all ask stupid questions here every once and awhile. I've been in the hobby for over 15 years and at one point had 4 tanks running at once that totaled over 600 gallons of saltwater and I still ask questions (and to some here, they seem stupid). Not to worry!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back