Substrate Conundrum

krhagerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, when i restarted my tank after a years of a break i messed up and got sugar sand as my substrate. I am wanting to change it out so that I no longer have sand dunes and I also have the base to thick. I do have my established snails, hermit crabs and emerald crabs I have to think about when making the change and I want to do it gradually so I do not mess up the ecosystem that much. I was planning on doing 1/3 of the tank at a time and right now I have a 55 gallon tank that I am working on. Any suggestions or should i just siphon out the sand and slowly replace it with special grade reef sand?

FishSkedee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, when i restarted my tank after a years of a break i messed up and got sugar sand as my substrate. I am wanting to change it out so that I no longer have sand dunes and I also have the base to thick. I do have my established snails, hermit crabs and emerald crabs I have to think about when making the change and I want to do it gradually so I do not mess up the ecosystem that much. I was planning on doing 1/3 of the tank at a time and right now I have a 55 gallon tank that I am working on. Any suggestions or should i just siphon out the sand and slowly replace it with special grade reef sand?
Sounds good to me, i've used a siphon to remove old sand, and 1" pvc with a funnel to add new.

Upvote 0

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back