substrate question

caumiller1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am new to this. I have a 20 gallon set up and running well with an undergravel filter, external filter, and using crushed coral. Now, I am setting up a 55 gallon reef. I have people tell me to use sand, and I have people tell me to use crushed coral and an undergravel filter, and I have people tell me to use a bare bottom tank. Can anyone give me pros/cons? I have the undergravel with crushed coral and a powerhead set up and I am having NO problems with chemistry of tank. I am thinking, if it is working, why change, but want to hear from those who have tried it and know more than me. Thanks

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of the undergravel filter and either do a canister filter or the best thing would be a sump with a skimmer. Sand is also you best choice.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a FOWLR tank, an undergravel is still undesireable, but will be ok with most animals as long as you keep up with water changes. Undergravel filters trap ditreus which in turn creates nitrates. Nitrates are basically only removed with water changes. The same issue exists with crushed coral to a less extent. I reccommend 100% aragonite substrate and no undergravel filter. I hate the look of a barebottom tank and would not go that route. I am not sure why anyone likes this, I have yet to see anything like this in nature, and that is the end game right? To have a natural look?

If you have enough live rock, you do not need any filter at all accept for a protein skimmer. I have been running the same tank for close to 2 years with no filter at all accept for live rock and a protein skimmer and my water is crystal clear and I have never lost a fish.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back