Sudden life in vacant tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AGWL
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

AGWL

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2022
Messages
84
Reaction score
73
Location
Washington State
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I am sorry for the quality of the pictures. It's the best I could get for now.

This is a 60 gallon. The tank crashed about 2 years ago (you can look back through my old posts) and has been vacant ever since. I emptied it completely and put in new live sand like 18 months ago. I haven't added any new critters to it yet because life got in the way. It had one piece of rock in it that was NOT in it when the tank crashed. I added some new rocks this weekend; these have been sitting in my dining room for months and were brand new. I've been hoping to start adding new friends as money allows. I admit I haven't really been paying much attention to the tank. But....

I was looking in there today and there are these somethings coming out of the sand and some on the glass. They are on long, green-ish stalks (a couple of inches) and have what look like dandelion fluff on the ends. One of them has what looks like a flower on the end. Again, sorry for the pictures.

I am guessing this is not a good thing. I can't bear to start this tank over again.

What are these?

Please be kind.
IMG_9802 2.jpg
IMG_9801 2.jpg
IMG_9799 2.jpg
IMG_9788.jpg
 
Try looking up mermaids wine glass macroalgae
That looks about right, at least for some of them. But do they get fluffy stuff on them, like dandelion fluff? And where did they come from, suddenly, into my tank? How do I take care of them?
IMG_9794.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new