Suddenly having issues with Cyanobacteria

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was setup in January 2017, been doing water changes once a week and went to once a month. I dose Alk everyday and MB7 once to twice a week. Don’t run any filter socks only a protein skimmer, GFO Reactor. I have good flow in the tank and never had any issues before. The cyano is taking over corals and thinking I need to go back to once a week water changes. Maybe I should add more snails?

8263792bd59c66d8c531e08ad8dedb15.jpg

43d0eb171a89c51827562c477a70c402.jpg

Tyler_Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not want to hear this but cyano is a symptom of a greater problem, having good flow, and water changes dont help the issue, cyano will still grow on whatever in your tank, whether your lights are on too much, or you don't have a good nutrient export system, maybe even cut back on feeding. I know this because I'm dealing with cyano/dinoflagllaetes Atm, and I have cut back on just about everything yet it still persists. The only way to stop it is to find the root of the problem, sure you can use chemiclean as a last ditch effort although that doesn't do much if you are looking to get rid of it for good

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not want to hear this but cyano is a symptom of a greater problem, having good flow, and water changes dont help the issue, cyano will still grow on whatever in your tank, whether your lights are on too much, or you don't have a good nutrient export system, maybe even cut back on feeding. I know this because I'm dealing with cyano/dinoflagllaetes Atm, and I have cut back on just about everything yet it still persists. The only way to stop it is to find the root of the problem, sure you can use chemiclean as a last ditch effort although that doesn't do much if you are looking to get rid of it for good

never really had this issue but I do have some Red Slime Remover. Only want to use it as a last resort. Should I cut back on lights and feedings? Continue water changes once a week?

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
umm... water changes will reduce nutrients.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never really had this issue but I do have some Red Slime Remover. Only want to use it as a last resort. Should I cut back on lights and feedings? Continue water changes once a week?
I'd cut back on feedings, increase flow, water changes, clean skimmer collection cup every day, change filter socks more. I'm currently dealing with cyano and algae from Hades so I feel your pain.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut back on the mb7. I belive it has a tiny amount of an organic carbon source. Direct Bacteria food.

Try some filter socks. It's probable there's a large detritus build up.

You'll probably want three socks.btw.
When you use the one the first time,
Do a bit of a deep clean and water changes. Change socks after a day or so. Keep up on the weekly wc for a week or two. Or theee.

Tyler_Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why does water changes cause outbreaks if your are removing nutrients with water changes
With dinos at least I know water changes add more dissolved minerals apparenltly for them to grow upon, I belive it's the same for cyano, correct me if I'm wrong

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With dinos at least I know water changes add more dissolved minerals apparenltly for them to grow upon, I belive it's the same for cyano, correct me if I'm wrong
Can. Yes. They sometimes , again sometimes like it. And the alk.

And no. Cyano works differently.
It likes the cal too but mostly from the fresh sand and rock. It really becuse it's a bacteria likes rotting foods and dissolveed nutrients and co2. So wc help ph and n/p and dissolved organics.

Dino's ime are a sometimes fueled by wc. More and more I suspect it's something in the brand not a wc in general.

Higher Ph is known to help kill Dino's. And a myriad of other ills.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can. Yes. They sometimes , again sometimes like it. And the alk.

And no. Cyano works differently.
It likes the cal too but mostly from the fresh sand and rock. It really becuse it's a bacteria likes rotting foods and dissolveed nutrients and co2. So wc help ph and n/p and dissolved organics.

Dino's ime are a sometimes fueled by wc. More and more I suspect it's something in the brand not a wc in general.

Higher Ph is known to help kill Dino's. And a myriad of other ills.

my system is a bare bottom...from why others have said I will stop using MB7 and go back to once a week water changes siphoning detritus from sump and main display

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From my latest battle with chrysophytes then cyano and then dinos they all seem to stem from the same root problem: your chemistry is out of whack. Especially when it comes to N and P. Some thrive in a nitrate low, phosphate high scenario where another loves high N and low P. (Sounds like a drug commercial [emoji3])

Then some really love super low N and super low P because they can out compete algae and bacteria for what is available.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And check for funk in the sump.

If you don't get build up in the sump, is means it's all going back up into the DT.

yes i do get detritus in sump, I don’t run any filter socks and my display hardly has detritus since it’s a bare bottom and has strong flow and not too much detritus

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my latest battle with chrysophytes then cyano and then dinos they all seem to stem from the same root problem: your chemistry is out of whack. Especially when it comes to N and P. Some thrive in a nitrate low, phosphate high scenario where another loves high N and low P. (Sounds like a drug commercial [emoji3])

Then some really love super low N and super low P because they can out compete algae and bacteria for what is available.

how did you win your battle with cyano?

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime I've had cyano I just make sure to removeas much as I can during my weekly water change and suck anything up with a turkey baster that encroaches a coral between changes. The rest of the cyano I let it just eat up whatever is causing it. It may last for a few weeks but it always leaves and stays away much longer than chemical treatments. Mine always forms on my sand and because I have a DSB I can't clean it so the cyano helps clean my sand bed and always leaves it looking bettet once it's gone. You don't want to try changing your water parameters in my opinion, just add a little carbon because cyano can release chemicals your corals won't like.

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had an outbreak after vacation/in laws feeding. The over generous portions I left for them to feed and light issue(being on 5 hours longer, I had to reprogram my t5 because I took out air conditioner day before I left and was over seas but could not reprogram my strips that were not on the apex/ heat issue switched t5's to night time) I cut light period by 30%, cut way back on feeding and went nuts everyday with a turkey baster. It
was gone after a week or two.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back