OP
OP
SudzFD

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photos are in the overview area if you tab over but I will add some more here to make it easier.
IMG_1260.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1263.jpeg
    IMG_1263.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1262.jpeg
    IMG_1262.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1265.jpeg
    IMG_1265.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1266.jpeg
    IMG_1266.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1267.jpeg
    IMG_1267.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1269.jpeg
    IMG_1269.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1270.jpeg
    IMG_1270.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1268.jpeg
    IMG_1268.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1272.jpeg
    IMG_1272.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
SudzFD

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to share more about my setup and the cost involved. I feel this hobby can be intimidating to get into due to cost, and my minimalist design may be an option for people to successfully enter the hobby. I will describe my setup and there are photos in my build thread of most of it. I will put some rough prices at the end.

Prices can vary so significantly on tank and stand combos so I won’t bother with that, but this is a clear for life acrylic tank with no holes drilled in it, so a basic tank designed for HOB or canister setup.

I set it up with live sand and a mixture of live rock and dead rock for the aquascape. It is approximately a 50/50 mix of live rock and dead rock. The live rock then seeds the dead rock fairly quickly.

I run the aquamax HFM filter. It is a HOB design with built in protein skimmer. The skimmer is quite effective. The water passes through a mixed media chamber consisting of ceramic rings, a bag if carbon and a cut to fit poly pad.

The water then moves to the third chamber that I have setup as a mini fuge. I have to cheap underwater led plant lights on 24/7 in there with chaeto and a small live rock. This third chamber also adds ports for my dosing pumps to deliver their daily doses.

Speaking of pumps I have a jaebo 4 station pump I keep below the tank which requires inline check valves but has kept it out of sight and works well. Channel 1 is B ionic part A which delivers 4mls twice a day. Channel 2 is B Ionic part b and delivers 3mls twice a day. My third channel is RO water that delivers 200 mls three times a day to keep up on evaporation loss.

Lighting I have two Smatfarm LED LIGHTS that are on 9 hrs a day. After they ramp up and down I have a Fluval led strip with all blue running as a night light. (The moonlight features on the Smatfarm are just too bright for the tank. The tank is left in complete darkness about 6 hours a night.

Finishing the setup is my Jaebo wave maker. I have it on a pulsing wave setup and just have the one power head. Flow on the other side of the tank comes from the HOB.

Prices for this setup:

Live rock $8 per pound about $200
Mixed rock about $100
Live sand $35
Dead sand $20
I do a 30/70 mix live sand to dead sand.
Aquamaxx HFM (skimmer filter Fuge) $112
Jaebo dosing pump $70
Jaebo Wavemaker $100
2 Smart Farm LEDs $300
Heater $28

So aside from the tank and stand I am in to this tank setup for under $1000

Yes many other odds and ends, scrubbers, test kits, food, air pump for drip acclimation, dips, B ionic. Etc…

But with tank and stand I want people to know that they can have a very nice reef tank for under $2000.

I’ve had this setup for about 4 or 5 years and have not had any major issues. Maintenance if filters is monthly, biweekly water changes, and annual pump breakdown and cleaning.

Hopefully this is helpful to people and I am happy to answer any questions.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back