Sufficient support for a rimless aquarium?

Amaroq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently purchased a Waterbox Clear Mini 30, 8mm rimless 24"x18"x18" and I was on planning putting it on a standard steel tubing aquarium stand, would something like this maple panel be adequate enough to go between the steel stand frame and the rimless tank? The stand is a standard 40B/65 gallon size. The tank will have its self leveling support foam that comes with it and I might add an extra layer from an innovative marine tank pad I have unused sitting around still, just not sure if I should be concerned that the panel is laminated together compared to just using one solid piece of plywood, thoughts? Am I way over thinking this for a 30 gallon aquarium :grinning-face-with-sweat: ?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you are not over thinking it. I have a 16g DT on a stand that is 6"-8" wider than the tank on both sides. The tank sits on a 3/4" sheet of plywood. After 2 months I found the doors starting to rub on the underside of the plywood as it had sagged a bit. I put a 2"x2" wood post inside, just behind the doors for extra support.

What is the footprint of your tank and what is the size of your top surface of the stand (between the supports from the frame)?

BTW, since I noticed you are in Canada, I though I'd toss this out. Although I live in Florida, both of my parents were born in Ontario. One in Stratford and one in Cobalt.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this Yoga Mat, from Amazon, for Leveling on my Plywood stand top. Couldn’t be more pleased with the Quality.

Bean Products Yogi Premium Yoga Mat | Closed Cell, Non-Skid, Slip Resistant, Double Sided | 4mm Thick (73” L x 24” W) Extra-Long | Non-toxic, SGS Certified | Earth-Friendly Exercise Gym Mat​

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just not sure if I should be concerned that the panel is laminated together compared to just using one solid piece of plywood, thoughts? Am I way over thinking this for a 30 gallon aquarium :grinning-face-with-sweat: ?

I would not be concerned about using this at all vs plywood(and just to clarify by definition plywood is also laminated....and a lot more than this is).

In any case you still need a levelling mat on rimless.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d put a 24” x 24” piece of plywood, that’s either Spar Varnished or Painted with Topside Paint. Overhang 1-1/2 to 2” on the Back with the rest on the front. The back overhang will make a nice splash Shield for a power strip. Front will be a place to set something down while feeding. They make Iron on Wood Edge Banding that’s easy to use, or you could put Square mill work on the edges.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back