Suggestion on a digital outlet timer?

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kasa Smart Plug Power Strip HS300, Surge Protector with 6 Individually Controlled Smart Outlets and 3 USB Ports, Works with Alexa & Google Home, No Hub Required

I've only had mine for about 3 months but so far no issues and as a bonus you can see power consumption. If you pay attention you can use that to know when it's time to clean your pumps.

You can set timers, schedules, and routines. I have a routine setup for water changes that flips off the return and heater.

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! @Woodyman @lagatbezan the ones you showed me - do they come with an APP than for controlling? Is it relatively simple?
The Meross comes with an app that’s very simple to setup and use. You can setup timers as well as manually turn on/off from the app as well as with the module itself (it has a switch on the side). Currently I’m using four of them and have another 4 on order. This is what it looks like on the app.

Attachments

• C2F92469-CC17-43BC-9DC0-290324F36C1B.png
    C2F92469-CC17-43BC-9DC0-290324F36C1B.png
    313.3 KB · Views: 31

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the Kasa HS300 / KP303 strips. I'm using these on both my DIY controller and plant lighting.

The app is well built and easy to program.

DopamineKata

Beltalowda
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the BN-Link wifi outlets to schedule a chiller on and off after my GF had surgery. I had zero complaints, they were easy to setup and program.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing I really only need one outlet I for each time I think I will stick for the Meeros Wifi ones. Appreciate the help everyone! I love how technology can help us out like this.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! @Woodyman @lagatbezan the ones you showed me - do they come with an APP than for controlling? Is it relatively simple?

Yes app is available for control. Kasa also makes single plugs that do the same as far as smart function and power monitoring.

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the smart outlets on Amazon. Control with an online ap, and pretty easy to set timers on all outlets. They're pretty cheap, and give you 70% of the functionality of a controller for MUCH less.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon Multi-Timer $25bucks.
Can be programmed easily, down to a second if you wish.
I use it on my ATO power to ensure if the ATO goes funky, the multi-timer will ensure no overflow.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use and absolutely love the kasa power strips and individual outlets.
Yes app is available for control. Kasa also makes single plugs that do the same as far as smart function and power monitoring.
The power monitoring isn't isn't same with the singles.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use and absolutely love the kasa power strips and individual outlets.

The power monitoring isn't isn't same with the singles.
Well that's a bummer. I had planned on getting some singles since I had the impression it was the same functionality. Guess I'll just get another strip

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's a bummer. I had planned on getting some singles since I had the impression it was the same functionality. Guess I'll just get another strip
Function is the same as far as I know but monitoring is different. All you get for monitoring is the runtime screen and not the power monitoring screen.

I still use them because for a lot of things I'm fine with not having power consumption reading, plus I can sometimes find them in really cheap on amazon (I think I've gotten several over the years for just a few dollars each)

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Meross ones and I am just super frustrated. Every single timer I get is just a piece of crap. You think in this modern day of age where we create particle colliders and cars running on water they can make a simple app and digital timer. It almost seems like its super complicated on purpose just so you give up and throw it away.

2 apps for a single device?? Why do I have to install the "Homekit" and "Meross App".. Do I even have to get both? These instructions are horrible confusing and not working out the way they should. Anyone with this thing want to help me?

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Meross ones and I am just super frustrated. Every single timer I get is just a piece of crap. You think in this modern day of age where we create particle colliders and cars running on water they can make a simple app and digital timer. It almost seems like its super complicated on purpose just so you give up and throw it away.

2 apps for a single device?? Why do I have to install the "Homekit" and "Meross App".. Do I even have to get both? These instructions are horrible confusing and not working out the way they should. Anyone with this thing want to help me?
I just added 4 more to my system and it’s super easy. Just use the Meross app and follow the manual add option. It should take less then 1 minute to complete for each device.
I don’t think they are HomeKit compatible so chose that when it asks you when setting it up.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added 4 more to my system and it’s super easy. Just use the Meross app and follow the manual add option. It should take less then 1 minute to complete for each device.
I don’t think they are HomeKit compatible so chose that when it asks you when setting it up.
I think I got the Homekit ones because it comes with two instructions to set them up: for HomeKit and Meross. I clicked HomeKit compatible and now it seems to be working. Still I got it working last week and for some reason the outlet/smart plug became "unrecognizable"

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I got the Homekit ones because it comes with two instructions to set them up: for HomeKit and Meross. I clicked HomeKit compatible and now it seems to be working. Still I got it working last week and for some reason the outlet/smart plug became "unrecognizable
Gotcha. Yeah mine states it’s not homelink compatible so I’m using the Meross app with no issues.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back