GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
Happy Saturday.
My tank has only been running 8 months. My LFS store recommended I do a daily dose of Seachem Stability. When it ran out, I started dosing Microbactr7. I am wondering - any other bacteria I should dose for a while. I looked at Fritz but I called for huge doses.
The LFS is recommending I go back to Stability until the one year mark.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability doesn't need to be added unless you are replacing rocks, sand, biomedia, having ammonia issues, or adding lots of fish at once. I would recommend these for maitenance:

PNS Probio plus any of the following

Seachem Pristine
Microbacter Clean
Dr. Tim's Waste Away
Fritz Monster
or other "cleaning" bacterias"

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep dosing bacteria your po4 and no3 will bottom out at 0 leading to some major issues. A reefs need 2-5ppm of no3 and 0.1ppm of po4 to keep the ecobalance stable. Imo you're overdoing it

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your lfs has been wrong, don’t add cycling bac to a cycled tank, it doesn’t help anything. They are using bad science to get money out of folks, but they may not know it. The bottle bac sales machine is at fault, likely not the actual lfs they mean well

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

we need to get an lfs’ response to that thread

can you post it on their Facebook page or something, link back to us here, we want to keep them honest

you don’t need to add any form of any bacteria from a bottle to this tank for the life of this tank.

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
Happy Saturday.
My tank has only been running 8 months. My LFS store recommended I do a daily dose of Seachem Stability. When it ran out, I started dosing Microbactr7. I am wondering - any other bacteria I should dose for a while. I looked at Fritz but I called for huge doses.
The LFS is recommending I go back to Stability until the one year mark.
Stop dosing bacteria. Except for the bacteria you add to start an aquarium, the other products are likely to be useless.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan considering your work in the chemistry forum on a few of the products listed above, it will be neat to see one day when anyone makes a comparable thread showing what the digesting products claim to actually do / accomplish

waste away can be ruled out of functionality based on Tarichas thread on it, I recall. The bottled bacteria sales machine is a strong, strong influence in our hobby. To the tune of millions of dollars annually / unneeded sales

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told the tank needs to build up enough to out compete algae
Yes. And that product is some sort of home brewed phytoplankton. Best variation of phyto is tetraselmis.

Search this board on the hundreds of ppl who run successful tanks dosing some type of phytoplankton every night

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan considering your work in the chemistry forum on a few of the products listed above, it will be neat to see one day when anyone makes a comparable thread showing what the digesting products claim to actually do / accomplish

waste away can be ruled out of functionality based on Tarichas thread on it, I recall. The bottled bacteria sales machine is a strong, strong influence in our hobby. To the tune of millions of dollars annually / unneeded sales
@taricha is performing a very careful examination of bottled bacteria. It is quite involved. Masters of Science stuff.

My own study was quite short lived because the bottled bacteria did not show any signs of growth under aquarium conditions. Only after I gave them a high dose of nutrients did they start to grow, but never as well as aquarium bacteria. So I abondoned my study. Who wants to study duds :)

@taricha went the extra mile to get them to grow well and then did a study that determined at what “food” level they stopped growing well. I have peeked over his shoulder at the data and have not changed my mind about the uselessness of these products

I have two additional thoughts. If you don’t have any bacteria other than denitrification bacteria in your aquarium, I wonder if these bottled bacteria might grow because they aren’t competing against super hot resident bacteria. The second notion is whether the bottled bacteria turn into superbugs when they land and take up residence in existing aquarium biofilms. Maybe living in a biofilm is easier than in water.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha is performing a very careful examination of bottled bacteria. It is quite involved. Masters of Science stuff.

My own study was quite short lived because the bottled bacteria did not show any signs of growth under aquarium conditions. Only after I gave them a high dose of nutrients did they start to grow, but never as well as aquarium bacteria. So I abondoned my study. Who wants to study duds :)
It is very hard to quantify zero. Takes a lot of work. :)

@taricha went the extra mile to get them to grow well and then did a study that determined at what “food” level they stopped growing well. I have peeked over his shoulder at the data and have not changed my mind about the uselessness of these products
Perhaps I should have just run a quick study of carbon dosing instead. It's easy to show that nearly all of the desirable things that bottle bac promises and people say they dose for are doable with carbon dosing.
It's quite difficult to measure anything that bottle bac do (better than bacteria in my tank water) that people in the hobby claim the bottles help them with.

To clarify, this is about grunge-eaters. The bottles of true nitrifiers do what they say.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back